Loch ruin

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby Reidiboy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:31 pm

Aye, right enough. I did a wee bit of research there (you can tell im busy at work) and sure enough, its also known as Knockruan Loch.

As for the Lussa, I can remember walking across it with the "oldfla" when I was about 5 or 6 years of age which would make it in the late 80's and seeing the ruin and the road to the north-east of the boathouse. I have never seen it since. The ruin to the south of the boathouse that you can see most of the time is where I caught one of my biggest troots, a 2 pounder!! Pity it wasnt on a competition day. "Old" Reid wasnt happy as its probably the only time I have ever finished the day with a heavier basket!

He will always be the "oldfla" as I will always be the "youngfla".
I am not completely useless............................... I can be used as a bad example!
Reidiboy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Pete Reek » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:45 pm

et
Last edited by Pete Reek on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Reek

Postby jane59 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:48 pm

I was telling my brother about the previous posts here and he says its loch ruin too.......and another wee bit o info that a burn from knockscalbert runs under ground and passes my house (nr Black`s shop)into the loch at the wee Dalintober jetty.....I did`nt know that ......you learn something new every day !!!
please correct me if I`m wrong ....
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Reidiboy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:05 pm

Aye, your right about the burn Jane. I can remember when I was young and staying in town at my grannies we used to throw bottles into the burn at Glenside and run away down the street to the bottom of Low Askomil to wait for the bottles to come out, never did see them again right enough.

Pete - I can remember being told about something being in the water (aye, fish being another thing) near the Dam wall but I just thought that was to just keep me amused by looking for it when I got fed up with fishing.

Anyone else had a close encounter with an Adder up Loch Ruan? I nearly jump over the hill to Kilchousland when I came across one and have hated snakes ever since! I also had a meeting with one up Crosshill Loch but the "oldfla" came to the rescue!
I am not completely useless............................... I can be used as a bad example!
Reidiboy
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby take_a_pop » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:09 pm

jane59 wrote:I was telling my brother about the previous posts here and he says its loch ruin too.......and another wee bit o info that a burn from knockscalbert runs under ground and passes my house (nr Black`s shop)into the loch at the wee Dalintober jetty.....I did`nt know that ......you learn something new every day !!!
please correct me if I`m wrong ....

Naw yur rang Jane, A burn runs oan top oh the grun, an a dren runs beelow the grun, so this meens thit yur burn, is really ah dren.
Hope this clears it up fur ye. Auld yin.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jane59 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:13 pm

Eh I think it wis cleared up on the post before you thanks very much .....smarty pants.......Auld yin indeed !!!!!!
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby take_a_pop » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Aye auld yin, yur lamps burnin yellow noo, it shuid be bright an white.
Niffer mind, it will cum tae us awe wan dey.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jane59 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:26 pm

noo I`m wurried ........I did huv tae get specs the other week .......could`na make oot the date oan ma birth certificate :wink:
jane59
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby paraffin man » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:11 am

Aye, ye got in there afore me pete the reeker, i know aboot the boat at the dam, & i can remember when the loch wis at its lowest in the early eighties. Ye could see the auld road & where the bridge used tae be gan acroos tae 'strmolloch hoose'. The boat that stinky refers tae belonged tae the hydro board & ye could only see the mast when the loch wiz low. Ye canna see it now when the water is low coz wan o thon strang hooligans broke it when he wiz hingin on tae it when he wis swimmin in the loch wan summer!

Gettin back tae loch ruan though i9 think the hoose is at the far right hand side when ye come up fae auchalochy, i used tae like fishing loch ruan, but i wiz gan roond it wan day & i came across a deed sheep floatin in the water, it wiz a thon bloated wie & it wiz covered in maggots, that put me off fishing there again, mind you i dare say the fish were lovin it!
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:21 am

Was Bochan Mor anywhere in sight? We've heard a few of his recipes.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby eddie mitchell » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:45 am

Pete Reek wrote:Nane o yis mention the sunken boat ower next the dam wa.

It wis kwite a big yin, so ahm merr than surprised that yis haenna heard o it. Mind you, yis ur a too young ah expect. Ah except JD that is. He spells sixty lake this : 50 !!

This Eddie Mitchell thats writin in, is he the semm wan that bought sherrs in Elastoplast because he wis aye cuttin big junks oot o his hans wi butchers nifes when he worked ower at Saddell Street Butchers.
Well when ah say worked, ah really jeest mean employed.

Him an Old Thep used tae lake the semm things as weans ahve jeest minded.

He wis a hoora boy when he wis young.

See yis later mebbe
thats me and the coop butchers =wfm[/quote]
With true friends...even water drunk together is sweet enough. ?
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby petewick » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:20 pm

Lots of adders at Lochruan, especially down near the wee sluice.
Does anyone know about the wee cave/ shuch on the hill on the northern bank of the loch?
A former workmate of mine told me about it years ago, and how him and his gang of outlaws used to hide out there when the heat was on.

Petewick :D
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby eddie mitchell » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:48 am

petewick wrote:Lots of adders at Lochruan, especially down near the wee sluice.
Does anyone know about the wee cave/ shuch on the hill on the northern bank of the loch?
A former workmate of mine told me about it years ago, and how him and his gang of outlaws used to hide out there when the heat was on.

Petewick :D
yes I remember the wee cave me and the boys sheltered in it during a snow storm,I seem to recall being up there when the gang collecting frog eggs,but then where did you not go as
a kid then.I even had gulls eggs from my grand parents
in these days,remember eating a lot of tumshes then to
with my tartan pocket knife,any way remember going to the sun clock at the pumping hose is it still there ? :?:
:?:
With true friends...even water drunk together is sweet enough. ?
eddie mitchell
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby petewick » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:41 am

Much as I enjoyed going around Lochruan, I sometimes felt a kind of eerie presence about the place.
Anyone else find this?

petewick :twisted:
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby judge roy bean » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:18 pm

i remember, the cave and the snowstorm, among those involved were big tosh, jimi the rock and erchie houston, that'll get eddie thinking, hows things in OZ you must be settling in when your back among us?
judge roy bean
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion