Fleshers :

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Fleshers :

Postby Iain » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi all ! Happy New Year ! Better late than never..., :lol: !

This is the first time I’ve ever heard of the word “flesher” instead of butcher ! (not to be confused with flasher..., lol)

The van here belongs to my 1xG Robert McFarlane McArthur and my “cousin’s” Grandfather William McKellar McKay..., Longrow. (the woman “at the wheel” is probably Robert’s daughter Annie) In the Longrow shop, (either to the left or the right of the old Coop..., 53 Longrow) there was a Jenny McArthur behind the counter.
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=53+Longrow ... 6,,0,-1.53

Does anyone know exactly where Jenny’s shop was ? (Bill...? :wink: !?)

Thanks in advance..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Fleshers :

Postby howlsatthemoon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 pm

First of all the clip above of Thomas Campbell was situated in Kirk Street.The link is below,and a very interesting site it is,with a whole treasure chest of old pictures of the town.

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_ ... m_id=17018

As to the position of McArthur's butchers,this was already explained by Emdee in a previous thread. page 4.What is now the architects.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53+lon ... 2,,0,-4.48
Last edited by bill on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Also Ian in the previous thread I wrote............

bill wrote:I was talking to my older brother Donald,and he reminded me that though it was McArthur's the butchers, it was actually George and Jenny McKay who ran it.

Which is borne out by the names on the van,McArthur & McKay. 8)
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 am

howlsatthemoon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVvZykACBU

Thanks very much..., and I'll sit back and enjoy the other url later !

Bill..., many thanks. As you said, it had been talked about earlier..., I'll go back and study the post. Working for them as a 9-year old, looks like it was a McKay who was my boss..., and not a McArthur !

In fact, James McArthur b1827 was the first of the family “fleshers” (alongside his butcher father-in-law Dugald Hawthorn b1793) and ever since, there have been at least 10 in the family with shops and farms all over the place. The discovery of this image is pushing me to build a better picture but there are few family photos..., the post card idea is excellent ! And thanks for the url.

Have a nice day..., Iain. :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm

As someone who`s not a resident, merely an occasional visitor, there are some wonderfully interesting pictures on that video. thank you.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 am

numberplease wrote:As someone who`s not a resident, merely an occasional visitor, there are some wonderfully interesting pictures on that video. thank you.

Quite so ! I have an expert genealogist friend who used to live next door to my Grandmother (daughter of the "McArthur" van) and yesterday she found an as yet unknown photo of her 1xG, fundraising for lifeboat day. She wrote and asked them for a copy because they're all stamped !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Crowth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:38 pm

Iain wrote:This is the first time I’ve ever heard of the word “flesher” instead of butcher !

Possibly a German connection? One German word for butcher is 'fleischer'. Just a thought.
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bitter End » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:35 pm

The Incorporation of Fleshers in Glasgow --- one of the 'Trades --- see Trades House of Glasgow ----
" The Fleshers became an incorporation in 1580 to regulate the affairs of those who provided meat for the growing population of Glasgow. There were "provisions for the inspection of meat, the punishment of malpractices in connection with the selling of same "market dues of unfreemen bringing their beasts to town and provisions against the throwing out of bags, paunches and tripes upon the High Street"plus numerous other rules."

And earlier from the Trades in Edinburgh----

"The craft of the flesher is necessarily one of the oldest in the burgh but its practitioners do not appear to have been organised into a body corporate until some time in the mid fifteenth century.

The earliest Seal of Cause we know of for certain was granted to the Incorporation of Fleshers on 11 April 1488 (not 1490 as unaccountably stated by Colston). By then they already had a deacon, Richard Furde, “deykin of the fleshouris for the tyme”, from which it is clear that they already had a corporate existence and had almost certainly received their original Seal of Cause from the Town Council some time previously."
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:48 pm

Hi to both of you and thanks. I like the German connection..., lol ! As for Bitter Ends’ fleshers..., very interesting.
Lol..., another word I had never heard before is “incorporation”! But no research needed !! :wink:

I found this interesting URL yesterday, and the trade’s well and truly mentioned in the list.
http://scotsfamily.com/occupations.htm

Have a nice week end..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion