St. Kilda to Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

St. Kilda to Campbeltown

Postby rosiegillies1990 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi, im investigating if my family name came from St. Kilda, I understand some moved to Campbeltown.
My grandad Angus Gillies moved to Oban from Cambeltown, my dad (His son) moved to Glasgow for work which is where I stay now.

My family name GILLIES has been traced back to 1850 but no such mention of St Kilda except stories from my grandad (Angus Gillies)'s dad James Gillies said his Grandparents/great grandparents came from St Kilda.
And I know the majority name of St. Kilda in the evactuation was Gillies.

Could this be possible?
My aunt is doing the family tree, but 1850 is as far back as she has got just now.
I am planning on booking a yacht for a 7-10 day trip to and from St. Kilda from Oban.
Id like to go even if this couldnt be true, as it looks beautiful ive read books and seen pictures

Rosie Gillies:)
rosiegillies1990
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: St. Kilda to Campbeltown

Postby rosiegillies1990 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Sorry, i got this information mixed up. Moved to Oban FROM Greenock, but back from Greenock there is a Cambeltown connection. X
rosiegillies1990
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Braveheart62 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 pm

when my father was alive, he told that his decendants had came from St. Kilda, he was born in Campbeltown on 3rd of November 1934, my grandfather was also born in Campbeltown (date birth unknown) his name is William Gilchrist Gillies, is there a connection to your family tree
my email is briansgillies@aol.com
thanks in advance
Brian
Braveheart62
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby maya11 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:47 am

I remember that steel hulled boat at Westport, far up the beach just past the big dune, used to play in it, cant for the life of me remember where it came from, used to know.... played there about 50 years ago also. Wish I had written all this down b4 the brain went
maya
maya11
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion