Dalaruan Terrace:

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Dalaruan Terrace:

Postby Iain » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi All ! Can someone help me out ?

I have these three images of Dalaruan Terrace/Street and I’d like some advice. For years now I was under the impression that the first two were the same, being transformed at some time or other to provide a second floor. But when you look carefully, the distant chimneys seem to tell a different story ! Or do they ?
Do you think that these houses have been modified, or was Dalaruan Terrace totally different from Dalaruan Street as it is today ?

Just before WW2, the houses were numbered from 1 to 14 and the following is a list of people who were living there at the time.
1, Smith, 2 McCallum, 3 McKerral, 4 Houston, 5 Finn, 6 Clark, 7 McCaig, 8 West, 9 Henderson, 10 Armour, 11 a shop run by Nellie McLean, 12 Katie McLean, 13 McSporran, 14 McLean.

In the Google view below, (the URL) there are 8 houses. In the list above there are 14..., meaning that the houses were obviously modified..., or were they ? The houses today could have that front-door entrence giving way to two houses ?!?!? :(

The Google Street View provides some support !
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Dalaruan+S ... 03,,0,2.57

PS In the first image, that far distant "chimney" seems to be part of some quite a formidable building..., which now, using Google seems to be two small neighbourhood grass parcs ! :?

PPS When you look at the second photo, those high chimneys/building can be seen over the trees.

PPPPPPS: When I look at the 1911 census of the street, I see that my 1xG Grandfather Robert MacFarlane McArthur had a sense of humour. He lived in Dalaruan Terrace (perhaps N° 9) and called it Arthur’s Seat. ("McArthur’s seat"..., like in Edinburgh)
From the census:
N° 4: “Craigie Place.”
N° 5: Ditto
N°6: Ditto
N° 7: Ditto
N°8: Graig-Gowan
N° 9: Arthur’s Seat
Last edited by Iain on Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Dalaruan Terrace:

Postby howlsatthemoon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:27 pm

At first glance I thought that the 1st picture was further along Dalaruan st/High st, near where "Babette's" used to be.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

howlsatthemoon wrote:At first glance I thought that the 1st picture was further along Dalaruan st/High st, near where "Babette's" used to be.

:? Thanks ! :wink:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 pm

I’m still trying to compare the distant chimneys..., without much success: And the more I look, the more that distant building interests me. Looks as if I’m going to have to consult the ancient maps of the region.

In the meantime, I’ve been comparing that wall. The following Google image with the other two images shows that the wall seems to have been reduced in height..., nonetheless, that corner does show signs of similarities !

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 am

Iain wrote:I’m still trying to compare the distant chimneys..., without much success: And the more I look, the more that distant building interests me. Looks as if I’m going to have to consult the ancient maps of the region.

The building might be Craigie Place.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:37 am

Hi Emdee..., thanks !

I had another look at your post in 2008 concerning “The changing face of Campbeltown.”
On the first page Bill included Dalaruan Terrace. Don’t understand why he said that as he's certainly not old enough to have souvenirs of those images !
As we now know that the terrace has since become a street because of its length, it looks as if the one-floor houses were as I thought, demolished to construct what we have today.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6804

Craigie Place…, Emdee ? I surfed the name and found no images ! Not even Craigie Hall or Building !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:41 am

I don't think I've seen a photo of Craigie Place among any old photos I've seen. It was the large imposing tenement building on Dalaruan Street beside Dalintober School and was accessed up a short incline beside the vehicle entrance to the school. It was demolished in the 1960s.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks Emdee !

I'm researching all the old maps of Campbeltow for the time being..., extremely interesting ! Perhaps that will help a little.

I find it truly amazing that there's next to no official information from the Town Hall on this type of research. Just about nothing is available unless you "live down the road"! I was researching some genealogy earlier on today and found an American woman publishing Campbeltown doccuments dating from 1681. And I can't even find a demolition date ! Not only demoralizing..., but it also pushes you to ask why some of them are paid a salary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Image of first page of the Campbeltown Parish Births Register, Coutesy of Diana Powell, Atherton, California. The arrow points to an entry that translates to "16 April, 1681, Margaret, lawfull daughter to James Clark and Janet Ryburn of Knockriochmore" :roll:
http://www.netspeed.com.au/rryburn/sources.htm
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:59 am

What wonderful photos, just love these old pics! :D
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 am

This is taken from information supplied when Dalaruan Terrace (part of Dalaruan Street) was given category B listing in 1996.

1878. 2-storey symmetrical terrace comprising 8 identical 3-bay flatted houses, (16 dwellings) in colony style, with lean-to glazed timber entrance porch at ground to front, and forestairs to upper flats at rear. Roughcast walls, with droved ashlar dressings. Cill course at ground floor, raised margins at windows and corners at outer left and right, projecting window cills. Blank gable ends.

S (DALARUAN STREET) ELEVATION: lean-to porches at centre bays comprising roughcast bases, projecting cills to timber fixed-lights above with entrance alternately to left and right of centre; porches identical except for those in penultimate bays to left and right which have 2 entrance doors; blank above at 1st floor. Single windows in flanking bays.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated, some margined windows, entrance doors and balconies to 1st floor flats accessed by concrete dogleg stairs with roughcast, coped balustrades.

8-pane timber sash and case windows to outer bay at ground and 1st floor. 8-pane fixed lights to porches, vertically-boarded timber entrance doors with 8 and 6-pane glazed uppers. Single window with modern glazing to right of porch to outer left. Grey slate roofs with profiled cast-iron gutters and cast-iron downpipes to main pitches and porches. Roughcast apex stacks, coped with circular cans. Ashlar skew copes with block skewputts.

BOUNDARY WALLS: battered random rubble walls both to street and dividing gardens, with saddleback cope and timber picket gates.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 am

This terrace was built by the Campbeltown Building Company which was set up in 1877 to relieve a housing shortage in the town. The involvement of Robert and James Weir with the company, and similarities in the design to their terrace at 83-103 Millknowe Road, would suggest they were the designers and builders. The porches are shown in a postcard of circa 1900 as being built originally of brick, probably replaced with the present glazed timber porches when the Burgh of Campbeltown applied to "improve houses in Dalaruan Terrace in 1958".
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:47 am

OS Map of 15 to 53 Dalaruan Street, Dalaruan Terrace.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk ... race/osmap

The listed terrace is clear on the map.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Shona » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 am

So to try to answer your question, Dalaruan Terrace - on Dalaruan Street - was purpose built as two-storey flats in the late 1870s. The older cottages weren't modified to add an extra storey. If you look closely at the photo of the flats, you can see white boundary walls of single-storey buildings in the distance, partially obscured by trees. So I reckon the other pic is of the same street, but further along Dalaruan Street.
Shona
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Shona..., you are absolutely amazing ! Sorry for not replying sooner..., extremely busy !

Lol ! You obviously work with or at least have close access to past and present town documents..., so forgive me about the remark concerning them being paid for drinking coffee. :lol:
And as that info is not digitalized..., I’d like to thank you for all the time you spent turning all those pages.

The info will be preciously stored away in a tree. :wink:

PS If you still want that Tiree census, I need an e-mail.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion