Dunaverty Castle

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Dunaverty Castle

Postby linda_j » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:20 pm

Does anyone have a picture of Dunaverty Castle the way it used to look. I have loads of it now but cant find one anywhere of how it used to look.

Regards Linda @ http://www.ourscotland.co.uk/
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 am

Think that what we see now is what was pretty much what was there by the time photography came along Linda.
After the much documented siege, I think it was set on fire. Between that and exposure to high winds etc, it would decay pretty quickly.

Petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Petewick is right. There are some old photos on the Am Baile site dating from the late 1890s and early 1900's showing it just as it is today. The received wisdom is that the castle was razed to the ground by the Covenanters in 1647, at the time of the Battle of Dunaverty itself.

Here is one of the pictures:

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/item/item_photograph.jsp?item_id=11499

A good site, and you can search simply for lots of interesting stuff, both photos and old documents, with quite a bit on Kintyre

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/index.jsp
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Dunaverty Castle

Postby jdcarra » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:47 pm

linda_j wrote:Does anyone have a picture of Dunaverty Castle the way it used to look. I have loads of it now but cant find one anywhere of how it used to look.

Regards Linda @ http://www.ourscotland.co.uk/

Just as Mary G's linda, taken last month.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Is that a lifeboat station to the right of the picture, JD?

Regards
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:16 pm

GarySutherland wrote:Is that a lifeboat station to the right of the picture, JD?

Regards
Gary

Long since defunct Gary, don't know what it's used for now.
Can always remember the slipway was always dangerous to walk on.
The building immediately to the left was the original station with accomodation upstairs.

Petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:46 pm

Both the building on the old slipway (built only within the last couple of years), and the house (recently refurbished, and inhabited now after lying derelict for years) are private property, belonging to the same individual. There is still access to the rock and the shore along this stretch of the coastline, naturally.
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby linda_j » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind replies :D I didn't think there would be a picture but thought I would ask anyway. I have a lot of great pictures of the area and thought if I could get a picture of how the castle used to look I would have added to my website.

Regards Linda
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Mary G wrote:Both the building on the old slipway (built only within the last couple of years), and the house (recently refurbished, and inhabited now after lying derelict for years) are private property, belonging to the same individual. There is still access to the rock and the shore along this stretch of the coastline, naturally.

Pretty impressive site now, all colourfull and new. As petewick said defunct and dangerous, was the last time i saw it Gary.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bruce » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:35 am

Hi, as you can probably tell from my signature, I work on Linda's web site! Well really, its OUR web site, but for some reason she seems to think she's in charge! Anyway...

Its a shame there doesn't even appear to be a sketch of what the castle looked like (unless there is one in the archives in Campbeltown)... I did find this site that gives a bit of detail on the layout!

Linda, next time we are there we should see what we can dig up! :wink:
Bruce
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby linda_j » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:51 am

Yes Bruce :oops: im sure the guys on here will be a great help in finding out more about Campbeltown and the surrounding area :wink: .
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:24 am

What a beautiful place to live. I was reading that the castle was on the top of that rock. It is kind of hard to imagine how it would have sat on the rock, but will be very interesting to hear what you guys dig up.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland 1892-6

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:12 am

History buffs may be really interested in this site I found while looking up information about Dunaverty Castle.

http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gazetteer/
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trapper » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:39 am

If you go down to dunaverty and climb up to the top of the rock (wear sensible shoes and be careful!) You can see the remnants of the fundations of part of the castle, It's not much but it gives you a bit better idea of how it was. Also a good book to read for info on the castle and the siege is "Kintyre in the 17th century" by Andrew McKerral. It was first published in 1948 but was recently reprinted by the kintyre antiquarian society. My favourite sory in this book is that of an old man in southend who kept a skull , with sabre marks and all, which he claimed he found at the foot of the rock and was the remnants of one of the massacred MacDonalds!
Trapper
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:17 pm

Trapper wrote: My favourite sory in this book is that of an old man in southend who kept a skull , with sabre marks and all, which he claimed he found at the foot of the rock and was the remnants of one of the massacred MacDonalds!

That was 1st gen Suthen' !! :wink:

Likely you all know about the walled enclosure in Machribeg field where all the bodies were buried......quite a bit after the massacre if I mind right......somebody will put me right I am sure.

And also about how the Campbell sentry let Flora McCambridge go as she tried to sneak away from the besieged castle, along Dunaverty beach, with her baby dressed in Campbell tartan " he might be wearing Campbell tartan but he's got McDonald eyes" but he showed mercy and let them live. They escaped to Ireland.

I have an original of that Andrew McKerral book upstairs, must look it out.
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion