Some pipe band members with Paul McCartney

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Some pipe band members with Paul McCartney

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:30 pm

Received this photo all the way from Australia. From Jimmy 'The Rock' McGeachy showing some of the local Pipe Band members with Sir Paul McCartney in 1977 - obviously when they were producing the No.1 hit single 'Mull of Kintyre'! :lol:

I'll let someone name the people in the photo but all I can say is there was a lot more hair flying about in those days! :wink:

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:36 pm

:roll:
Last edited by general jack o'niell on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
general jack o'niell

Re: Some pipe band members with Paul McCartney

Postby rainnken2000 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:36 am

thep wrote:Received this photo all the way from Australia. From Jimmy 'The Rock' McGeachy showing some of the local Pipe Band members with Sir Paul McCartney in 1977 - obviously when they were producing the No.1 hit single 'Mull of Kintyre'! :lol:

I'll let someone name the people in the photo but all I can say is there was a lot more hair flying about in those days! :wink:

JUST WANTED TO SAY THIS MAN DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE CALLED " SIR".REMEMBER ALL THE TROUBLE HE CAUSED IN THE TOWN BACK IN THE DAY WITH GROWING POT ON HIS FARM
rainnken2000
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Giggly Jake » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:18 pm

That's be this then:
The caption says it was 1973, Coming out of Campbeltown court having been found guilty.

GJ
Giggly Jake
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Bitter End » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:57 am

Aye well well , Rain2000. Jist remimber he is still in U.K. peyin his taxes! An whin he wis daen thet in the early 60s thet wis 95 pence in the poond!! Harold Wilson ---super tax , fur high earners! (19 shullins and saxpence tax fur every 20 shullins earned)
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:42 pm

rainnken2000 wrote:
thep wrote:Received this photo all the way from Australia. From Jimmy 'The Rock' McGeachy showing some of the local Pipe Band members with Sir Paul McCartney in 1977 - obviously when they were producing the No.1 hit single 'Mull of Kintyre'! :lol:

JUST WANTED TO SAY THIS MAN DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE CALLED " SIR".REMEMBER ALL THE TROUBLE HE CAUSED IN THE TOWN BACK IN THE DAY WITH GROWING POT ON HIS FARM

Out of interest, as I was just a young fla, what trouble did it cause?
Last edited by Ship called Dignity on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:18 am

thep wrote:
rainnken2000 wrote:

Out of interest, as I wsa just a young fla, what trouble did it cause?

Nothing, thep.

He had some cannabis plants growing at Highpark and got done for it.
He claimed that someone had sent him "seeds" in the post, he planted them and he ended up with some ganja.
I do love a happy ending.
Anything else ye' want tae know thep, jeest ask.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jaywalker » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:54 pm

Dont you just hate it when that happens... Im forever getting strangers sending me packets of seeds as well... I believe his gardener thought they were tomato plants... But I think stripping him of his knighthood is a bit steep.. :roll:
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bitter End » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:38 pm

He didna hae it then!
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby take_a_pop » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:50 pm

Naw he dinna hae ani, he threw it oe'r a hedge oan he's wiy tae coort thit dey, lucky fur me, a wuz campin in thit field, an as ave smoked a few funny fags in ma yunger deys, ah kent whit it wuz.
Thit wuz bach in 73, it took me tae 77,78 tae cum doon fae thit trip, an whin a wuz takin tae Paul and Dainy aboot it, they cuid tell a wuz spaced oot man, an a sed tae them, Hoi lads, whur am ah, of course ye ken whit they sed,,,,,,
Mull oh Kintyre, oh mist rollin in fae the sea ma desire.
Think am still trippin, mannnnnnn.
take_a_pop
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby GarySutherland » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:10 am

jaywalker wrote:But I think stripping him of his knighthood is a bit steep.. :roll:

Particularly when that git Archer has been allowed to keep his peerage.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bitter End » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:53 pm

'allowed to keep his peerage. '
Aye Garry Ahm quite sure it wis aall boucht an peyed fur properly! an thets why he he stull hes it. Thers nae mukle much chengin eh?
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:20 pm

True enough, I've just been reading the latest list of labour lenders on the Indy website. None of them sound to be short of a bob or two.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:28 pm

rainnken2000 wrote:

sir horse sounds quite good to me
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Surfbored » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:04 pm

The man (McCartney - not Horse) has provided the soundtrack to trillions of peoples lives, generated squillions of revenue for the UK, paid gazillions in tax (unlike well known tax dodger Sir Sean Connery "SNP Top Bloke" and the like)

... so what if he grew some plants back in the day?

Hardly a sleaze like Archer et al.

And (I'd imagine) he didn't "buy" it by contributing to Political Party campaign funds.

He deserves his Knighthood !!!

..... and he donated to the Picture House !!!!

.... oh and that song, "Mull of Something" .... now how does that go again ?..................

On 2nd thought, old combat jeckit, welly boots and erse hingin' oot jeans ....aye, take the Knighthood back NOW !!!!!!
Surfbored
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion