Mr Shields Boats at Dalintober

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Mr Shields Boats at Dalintober

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Bit of a Down Memory Lane theme to this but this I suppose is history too as I thought this picture was amazing when I saw it!

The picture is taken at Dalintober around 1958 and features Mr Shields Boats - anyone know anyone or any stories?

Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jdcarra » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:26 pm

I'll surely not forget them Davie. Were did you get the colour photo? As a boy I remember my father always taken me down to Jock's boat merry-go-round and also round to his bike repair shop Burnside street. I remember through the arch and to the right was his store. I think he should get the honour of Famous Campbeltonian's for all the joy he brought to the youth of yesteryear.

jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:11 pm

I think John Shields moved to Burnside Street after giving up a shop in Longrow where the Golden Ocean is now. The Bike Shop was on the right hand side and Beth McFadyen's fish and chip shop on the left hand side of what is now the Chinese restaurant's double frontage. Mr Shields would charge up the accumulator for your wireless as well as sell and repair bikes. I got my first brand-new bike there as a reward for getting the Dux prize in P7 of the old Kinloch School (Dalintober and Millknowe combined). Didn't he also do boat hiring from the slipway at the New Quay as well as having his roundabout at Dalintober Beach?
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Is that why the children's boat down the front is called Jock's Boat? Is it after Mr Shields?

I remember taking my bike to him as a kid in Burnside Street right enough..
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby GarySutherland » Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:13 pm

That's brilliant! I've never seen one of those before.

Cheers
Gary
GarySutherland
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jaywalker » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Does anyone else remember or better still have a photo of the peddallos jock used to hire out at the slip? If i remember right, at least one was shaped like a swan. I remember one of his rowing boats sunk under me at the stair at the top of the quay and I never got my money back.
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby jdcarra » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:19 pm

WC1 wrote:I think John Shields moved to Burnside Street after giving up a shop in Longrow where the Golden Ocean is now. The Bike Shop was on the right hand side and Beth McFadyen's fish and chip shop on the left hand side of what is now the Chinese restaurant's double frontage. Mr Shields would charge up the accumulator for your wireless as well as sell and repair bikes. I got my first brand-new bike there as a reward for getting the Dux prize in P7 of the old Kinloch School (Dalintober and Millknowe combined). Didn't he also do boat hiring from the slipway at the New Quay as well as having his roundabout at Dalintober Beach?

WCI
Yes your right about Longrow to Burnside, it was only after I posted that I remembered that.

jaywalker

Also remember the big white swan, but have no pics. The boats were propelled round by an old seagull outboard within the biggest boat.
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Big Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:23 pm

I got my first new bike there too. An Elswick a very tough bike.
Big Bob
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Dunc » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Jock also sold TV sets when they came to Campbeltown..he was joined by Arthur Strain who worked with me at Rhu Stafnish for a while.Bob Brown then went into the TV shop in Main Street with Arthur for a few years.
Always remember John trying to solder inside a tv set with very big soldering iron whilst the blow lamp to heat it rested on the top finesse sadly missing somewhat.I also remember a TV set at Rhu Staf. arriving from John with 2 enormous bolts thru the polished cabinet holding a transformer...
Great days thou also got my first bike there.
Quite a character indeed.

Dunc
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby petewick » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:25 pm

thep wrote:Is that why the children's boat down the front is called Jock's Boat? Is it after Mr Shields?

Would make a nice story Davie, but the truth is that another person who I assume goes by the name Jock left his stamp there when the kiddies boat was placed there.
Because the paint that "Jock" used was indelible and the soft surface too expensive to replace, it was decided to make the best of a bad job, and so that is how Jocks Boat was named.
Anything else ye' want tae know P, jeest ask.

Petewick
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Can also remember going to Burnside to get my bikes fixed by Jock.
Evey time you would go in he would say, "back again Johnnie boy?"

Ah, memories.
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby jaywalker » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:26 pm

He also made a mean sling out of bicycle wheel spokes and rubber bands.
:?
jaywalker
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Bike Mending Skills

Postby Sweltered » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:59 am

I remember Jock being thoroughly perplexed and bamboozled by the handlebar twist-gear shift on my "Grifter". Too new fangled for him. and the only tyre he had that would fit it was the back tyre off a "Chopper".
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Jock Shields

Postby Frosty » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Correct jaywalker , a custom made sling that many a Teacher will remember.
He certainly was one of the unique people that The Wee Toon generated all them years ago.
I'm sure all my bikes were from D M Browns , but Jock always got the repairs and did a smashing job too.
Great Post Mr P.

Cheers
Frosty
Frosty
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby paraffin man » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:18 am

Tell me something.......

The pictures of jock's boats are in the water, no surprise there you might ask, but how did the kids get into the boats without getting there tootsies wet?

JD you were a man experienced in Captaining such fine vessels maybe you can tell us 8)
paraffin man
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion