Which Campbeltown Church?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Which Campbeltown Church?

Postby PaulCrewe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 am

I have a number of direct ancestors whose marriages (and baptisms) are recorded in the OPRs for Campbeltown -

James Whiteford & Mary Mann in 1834
Hugh Mathieson & Barbara McLarty in 1833
Angus MacMath & Margaret Smith in 1806
Hugh Smith & Agnes Clark in 1782
John MacMath & Barbara McNair in 1780

Can anyone tell me which church in Campbeltown they would have been married in? Would the marriages after 1807 have been in the Highland Parish Church at the top of New Quay St? And what about the marriages before 1807?

Any help would be appreciated as I can't get my head around where the marriages/baptisms which were recorded in the OPRs would have taken place. There seemed to be the Old Gaelic Church which by the late 1770s had become "ruinous" but wasn't replaced by the Highland Parish Church until 1807, and then there was the Lowland Church which was originally in the Kirk Street Church Hall and then after 1781 in the Castlehill Church. Or were both Highland & Lowland Church events recorded in the OPRs?

I am visiting Campbeltown in July and would love to identify which church my ancestors worshipped in before my visit.

Paul Crewe in Townsville NQ Australia
PaulCrewe
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Which Campbeltown Church?

Postby skrik » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Another possibility is the original Relief Kirk built in Longrow in 1767 and demolished in 1871 to make way for the Longrow United Presbyterian Kirk which opened in 1872 and is still going strong today as the Lorne and Lowland.
skrik
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Return to Local History and Discussion