A Neil McArthur bakery:

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

A Neil McArthur bakery:

Postby Iain » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Can someone tell me where this was ? And eventually some of it’s history ?

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: A Neil McArthur bakery:

Postby Mzz pasico » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Looking at the pic I would say it's where Kennedy's shoe shop is now but always thought the bakers was across the road?!! Great photo.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby bill » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Mzz pasico:You are correct on both counts.McArthur's baker's shop moved from that location in Longrow shown in the picture across the road to where Argyll FM is now.There was also their other shop in Union Street,and the bakehouse in Burnside Street.This was the last company I worked for before leaving the town.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:00 am

Mzz and Bill..., thanks a lot for that information. Would this Neil McArthur be related to today’s Neil who has the Garden Shop ?

Argyll FN certainly has similarities..., but as Bill worked there he obviously knows best !
Amazing when you compare the photos, life certainly looks less prosperous today !
Thanks again..., Iain.

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mzz pasico » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 am

Iain i posted that your first pic looked to me like where Kennedys shoe shop is today (confirmed by bill). Wee bit confused with your photo of Crocks Emporium as that is across road from Kennedys and not the same building.
Mzz pasico
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 am

Mzz pasico wrote:Iain i posted that your first pic looked to me like where Kennedys shoe shop is today (confirmed by bill). Wee bit confused with your photo of Crocks Emporium as that is across road from Kennedys and not the same building.

Hi Mzz ! Lol ! I don’t want this to turn into a genealogical post so I won’t go into much detail. Suffice it to say that my Grandmother Mary McArthur lived at 53 Longrow..., and a little bit up the street opposite the bicycle shop the family had another shop, but that was a butchers. (they moved at a later date to the corner of the church entry I believe) Neil McArthur was probably my Grandmother’s brother..., hence the possible link with the address. (next door to Crocks) But that's only a hypothesis !
Also, when you study the bricks and architecture of the building, there is a resemblance with the old photo.

But I’ll have a look at Kennedys this afternoon. Thanks for your help..., Iain.
Last edited by Iain on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Isa » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 am

Iain, your pictures that are highlighted with arrows are 2 different places. The original you posted is where Kennedy's shoe shop is now and very little has changed apart from the shop names. The one with Crocks is on the other side of the street.

If you look at the picture of Longrow you posted you can see Crocks on the left and across the road you can see Kennedy's shop just above the parked white van. The radio station is further down on the same side as Crocks.

The side with Kennedys are all even numbers and uneven numbers on Crocks side. The details on the buildings do look the same so maybe easy to mistake. You'll see for yourself today :D
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:52 am

Isa, Bill and Mzz..., thanks all for your help !

Just had a look and it sure is Kennedys..., the bricks are identicle ! Oh..., and this shows that the photo was taken from 53 Longrow ! :D

But I believe that the photo was taken by the Durnin family, not my Grandmother !

Have a nice day..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mhairi R » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:09 pm

This is a photo of my grandfather's Bakery shop and Tearoom in Longrow, Campbeltown, Argyll! When the sign above the shop was painted they spelt the name wrong - McArthur - and my grandfather made them redo it with the correct spelling - Macarthur!!!!!
The Tearoom closed in the early 1960's and the Baker's shop transferred across the street to a grocers shop.
Mhairi R
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi Mhairi ! Welcome to the Kintyre Forum !

Question... lol ! Are you the “fhmm” I know well ? I don’t think so as Neil was surely not her Grandfather !

If Neil was your grandfather..., I am extremely pleased to be in contact with you. And more especially, finding someone else in the family who likes genealogy and also, with a little chance you may even live in Campbeltown.
I’ll take the risk that you are not Fhmm, and mention the fact that I can get you back to your 6xGr Grandfather Duncan. B1680. Unless of course you already have it all !

I don’t want to divulge too much private information for still-living people, so I’ll just mention that Fraser and Helen must mean a lot to you. Lol ! Unfortunately, I do not know the name of your Father ! Amazing ! :D

Something I found comical with your post was your souvenir of the Mc-Mac story. I had never heard about it before, nonetheless, I do know that Neil’s father Robert McFarlane McArthur never used the “a” for Mac..., nonetheless, nearly all his 14 children did. A bit snobbish at the time I was told, because the family was probably "well off"..., especially with him being the best haggis producer in the region ! Lol !

In fact, Neil’s sister Mary Martin McCuaig Rankin MacArthur (my Grandmother) lived just across the road at N° 53 Longrow, second floor, and that photo was taken by one of her neighbours in the Durnin family..., one of which (Wilson Durnin) would marry Neil’s sister Elizabeth (Lizzie) Rankin MacArthur.

As for Neil himself, I find the following extremely amusing. The photo below has Neil on the right and me on the left. (both of us about 18 years old) Peculiar thing genetics ! Lol !

PS I've just noticed the small "a" for Arthur above the shop. Very peculiar !

PPS I’d like to confirm with Bill the first name of the butcher’s shop just up the road at the time. I do believe it was Dougald MacArthur, Neil’s brother. Either Bill or Bill’s brother worked for them !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Mhairi R » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Iain. Glad my cousin told me about your post on here and she thought I might know more about it than she did!! I would be fascinated to find out more about the family and have some of the family tree but not going back as far as you have!
The only butcher's shop I remember was Uncle James and that was across the street from the bakers and tearoom. It stayed in the family run by His daughters Jenny and Mary, until they retired a good number of years ago. It's now an architects office. I live in the town as does Neil in the Garden shop. My Dad was Robbie (Robert MacFarlane Macarthur!!) and he, Uncle Neil and Auntie Melba ran the bakehouse and two shops until Dad retired in 1983. They sold the bakehouse to the Carradale Fishermen and the Longrow shop is now Argyll fm. The Union St shop is the Garden Shop now. Only one surviving member of that generation of our family but they are all still in our memories! :D
Mhairi R
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:07 am

Hi Mhairi ! Amazing ! I fell off my chair when you said your Dad was Robert McFarlane MacArthur..., you can’t be that, old ! lol ! But I now realise that our Great Grandfather Robert 1860-1935 obviously had a lot of his family named after him.

Our McFarlanes never set foot in Campbeltown, they, and all the McArthurs originate from Tiree. (not Tyree as it’s spelt today..., see photo below) Janet McFarlane b1772 was the last and the McFarlane name dwindled down through a very root-proud and respectful family. Janet’s son Neil 1795-1872 (our 3xGr) was the first to live in Campbeltown and was a very prosperous shoemaker, having surely had customers like officers working alongside Nelson. He lived and worked in Flemings Land on the High Street.
And more importantly for you, this first name Neil trickled down to the baker’s shop and the Garden Shop and beyond.

Neil McArthur our shoemaker built this house on Low Askomil and he named the house Tiree. It stayed in the MacArhturs' hands until about 10 years ago when the last in that line died; and was then turned into apartments. (my Father’s ashes were scattered into the Loch last month, just in front of the house I think)

In fact, the photo of Neil above has its origins from Neil in the Garden Shop..., unfortunately, he’s not very interested in genealogy. Nonetheless, apparently his son does show some interest !
Neil and I have a friend in common called Flo. She’s a professional genealogist and her husband is a McArthur. (note... when I write that name it is always done very thoughtfully, as just about every member has their own way of writing it. Even birth certificates and headstones often don’t tally. And I've now yours to contend with.)

I seems as if I have a lot of info to send you and to do it via the forum would be too complicated. I’ll pm you with an e-mail address. But you’ll have to be a patient as I’m up to my neck in work. Genealogy for me is a de-stressor ! Lol !

PS The butcher’s shop up the road was my very first employment. At the age of about 8 I think, I was their delivery boy, and at times I even made their sausages. Horrible looking things ! Probably the reason why they supplied me with a bike ! Lol !

PPS Are you on “Ancestry”?

Note the Durnin name on the headstone:
Last edited by Iain on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am

Iain wrote:Isa, Bill and Mzz..., thanks all for your help !

Just had a look and it sure is Kennedys..., the bricks are identicle ! Oh..., and this shows that the photo was taken from 53 Longrow ! :D

But I believe that the photo was taken by the Durnin family, not my Grandmother !

It's where Kennedys shoe shop is.......
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks Pete...., I'll have another look ! :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

It is it because I've seen similar pictures to this one, Neil
has them himself......
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict