O’Neil’s Land:

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

O’Neil’s Land:

Postby Iain » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:47 am

Hi all ! Does O’Neil’s Land still exist ? And if not..., does anyone know where it was ?

Tracing my roots via Granddad Black b1900 in Campbeltown..., I now have his Grandfather Daniel b1835 in Rathlin Island, Antrim Ireland, but dying in O’Neil’s Land Campbeltown.

I had quite a lot of success when asking details about Flemings Land..., wonder if I’ll get the same result this time.
Peculiar that he was Irish and living in an Irish/Scottish part of town !

Thanks !
Last edited by Iain on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: O’Neil’s Land:

Postby dram » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:42 pm

Working on it Iain - will be in touch hopefully.
dram
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby EMDEE » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:07 am

Iain

I must confess to no knowledge about O'Neil's land, but wouild be very interested to hear if any other forum members know where this was. Somebody must have information on this. :?:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mary G » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Hmm, O'Neil's land does not sound unfamiliar. I am going to make an inquiry or two ...

But Iain, your Rathlin Black ancestry might just link you to musical royalty! Sisters Mary (the more famous one) and Frances Black are of Rathlin extraction. But you probably knew that. While there has been a lot of migration from the island, and there may be more than one Black family there, it is still worth investigating, I would think.

http://www.mary-black.net/article.jsp?id=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br55Mjve33Q

http://www.frances-black.net/library/83.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpweuuxspaA
Mary G
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks Mary ! Actually, I didn’t know about the singers. To tell you the truth, I’d never even heard of them ! :oops: But as you say, there’s no smoke without fire and to add a little colour to the tree I’ll do some research.
In fact, I’ve only been aware of this Irish connection for about a week now. I asked Father Christmas for a year’s subscription at http://www.ancestry.co.uk ..., absolutely amazing ! And it was when comparing other trees, I found mistakes with my original research followed by this Rathlin Island discovery.

But I’m still a “Neil McArthur junky.” (Garden-Shop..., I’ve never met him, but from what I’ve learned so far from intermediary friends from Dumbarton, this is a really great family) In fact, we have the same Neil McArthur 3xGreat Granddad b1795. I’ll be opening my old Flemings Land post in January to thank all of those who helped find details of the family. In fact, that “Tiree” house the other side of the Loch was built by Neil McArthur..., but I’ll explain in more detail next year.

Thanks again..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:56 pm

This is just a small supplement with an additional “O’Neil” curiosity..., but before I start, I’d like to stress that this is not a genealogy post, as the details provided are simply to get a better understanding concerning place-names, family names and dates.
Note: Despite 3 army stints in Belfast and one in Londonderry, I had to use Google Maps to find Raithlin Island ! As such, I now know that you could just about swim from the Island to Southend !!! :lol:

>>>> Archibald Black b1797 in Ireland: Civil parish Campbeltown... Address; Wide Closs:
>>>> Son Daniel Black b1835 in Raithlin Island, Antrim Ireland.
• (1861 census) Address; O’Neils Land:
• (1891 census) Address; Ferguson’s Land (Longrow St.)
>>>> Daughter Agnes Black b1870 Campbeltown: Husband... Felix O’Neil:

Note: Agnes’s father-in-law was Arthur O’Neil b1798 in Tyrone Ireland, and died in Campbeltown..., wife Bridget McGeehan. (“large families”)

I’ve not had the time to do much research with the Blacks, but I believe the majority of Agnes’s brothers and sisters disappeared to New York.
Nonetheless, there seems to be too much of a coincidence of her family name, eventually giving way to a place name in Campbeltown !

Flemings Land.
Ferguson’s Land.
O’Neil’s Land;
..., this “Land” aspect..., is it traditional throughout Scotland, or is it a Campbeltonian idiosyncrasy ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added info:

I've just had a look at what Emdee mentioned in 2010..., quote:

Re: Fleming's Land
Postby EMDEE » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:47 am
Just as an aside, In my younger days used to wonder why this building was named "Fleming's Land". I have since discovered that in the Scots language a "land" is a tenement building.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 270241 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi, my 3rd Great Grandfather was Arthur O'Neill, born in Glenal, Co. Tyrone, Ireland around 1800. He was a Linen Draper. I have found him in census records in 1841 residing at Colvill's Land, Main Street, Campbeltown. It would appear business goes well as in the 1861 census he is residing at O'Neil's Land, Main Street, Campbeltown. The same census indicates a number of families living on O'Neil's Land. His will indicates that by his death in 1876 O'Neil's Land had a number of tenants who owed a total of more than £20 in rent.
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 pm

270241 wrote:Hi, my 3rd Great Grandfather was Arthur O'Neill, born in Glenal, Co. Tyrone, Ireland around 1800. He was a Linen Draper. I have found him in census records in 1841 residing at Colvill's Land, Main Street, Campbeltown. It would appear business goes well as in the 1861 census he is residing at O'Neil's Land, Main Street, Campbeltown. The same census indicates a number of families living on O'Neil's Land. His will indicates that by his death in 1876 O'Neil's Land had a number of tenants who owed a total of more than £20 in rent.

Hi 270241..., lol ! Welcome to the Kintyre Forum.

Very interesting ! I do feel it's a shame that these "lands" are not listed somewhere ! It does make up Campbeltonian history and nobody knows anything about them ! (Apart from the egotistic squirrel hoarders of public information in the Town Council)

It would be great if you could publish the £20 debts ! :wink:

(my 3xGr lived in Flemings Land, High Street)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby 270241 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Ah, unfortunately individual 'debtors' are not listed!

I'm surprised there is no record anywhere of the 'lands'.

I was thinking of coming down to Campbeltown to check if there is any reference to the O'Neills in the local library. Does anyone know how good the opportunities are for local research like this?
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion