The Campbeltown Book, and Lussa Loch

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

The Campbeltown Book, and Lussa Loch

Postby ChrisA » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:57 am

Bought 'The Campbeltown Book' whilst I was up there recently. What a great read, telling a comprehensive story of the peninsula (not just the toon) from its geological formation to the present day. Highy recommended.

Was interested to read that Lussa was not always a Loch, as I'd not heard that before. There's a couple of lakes near me - in the Peak District - that are also long since flooded valleys, containing ghostly underwater villages. There's lots of pics of the little villages pre water, and likwise, I'm wondering if there are any pics of Lussa pre flooding, indeed, was there anything to photo or was it just a valley? That ruin on the opposite side of the walkway is very interesting.
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: The Campbeltown Book, and Lussa Loch

Postby petewick » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:08 pm

It was a large meadow and was flooded about 1947. In the summer, if it's really dry the water level has been
known to drop down past the anglers huts and you can see the wee bridge over the original burn to Stramolloch.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: The Campbeltown Book, and Lussa Loch

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:41 pm

petewick wrote:It was a large meadow and was flooded about 1947. In the summer, if it's really dry the water level has been
known to drop down past the anglers huts and you can see the wee bridge over the original burn to Stramolloch.

That's incredible !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion