Original Music photo of Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Original Music photo of Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 am

How's this for a piece of local history! We received this scanned image from local piper John L Brown showing the the original music written by Paul McCartney and Pipe Major Tony Wilson and used by the Campbeltown Pipe Band to learn the Mull of Kintyre a few weeks before the Campbeltown Pipe Band recorded it up at High Park Farm, Campbeltown. John a younster at the time was a piper in the local Pipe Band and featured on the track and video.

And here is video of the showing the original recording too

Which of course then became and went on to sell over 2 million copies! 8)

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Original Music photo of Mull of Kintyre by Paul McCartney

Postby ChrisA » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:45 am

That's fantastic.

Always great to get a close look at a genius at work. .. and for me Macca was the top man in the Beatles.

That music noteage has gotta be worth a few quid too!
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby backseat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 am

Hello guys, maybe someone could help me. I'm an italian journalist who recently published a book (in italian language) on Paul McCartney's solo career, called PAUL MCCARTNEY: RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2011). It's a song by song based one with information on recordings and musicians, with a lot of exclusive interviews done by me.
I'm currently working on the english edition of it and would like to include the complete list of Campbeltown Pipe Band musicians that played on Paul McCartney and Wings' MULL OF KINTYRE.
I did some researches and this is the information I got:

- For the recording they used 7 pipers and 7 drummers, that makes a total of 14 musicians - Leader was Tony Wilson
- Musicians that I got info they were present: Ian McKerral (source: Howard Sounes), Jimmy McGeachy (source: Howard Sounes), John Brown (source: posting.php?mode=reply&f=22&t=12952)
It seems that Campbell Maloney (drummer) was playing during the session too (he also contributed to another McCartney song, TUG OF WAR) and according to this source he's the only living member of that line-up(sorry the article is not available in its full version...)
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-228704323.html

It will be great to have some help!
Maybe someone could contact or let me have a contact for Campbell Maloney for a quick interview on that session?
Thanks in advance
Luca Perasi
backseat
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jdcarra » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Luca

I have sent you a PM regarding info you wish.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion