Meaning of Lussa

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Meaning of Lussa

Postby Willianways » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi everyone,
Can anyone tell me the meaning of "Lussa" as in Glen Lussa etc?
Thank you. :)
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Meaning of Lussa

Postby bill » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:11 pm

No doubt some one will dispute it,but I remember reading it is Norse/Gaelic for "bright river".
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Willianways » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for that Bill. I really appreciate your help. We are choosing a name for our border collie puppy and traditionally the girl dogs have had Kintyre names. Years ago I had a Tangy and since then there has been Cara and Gigha plus Isla(y) so I'm hoping Lussa will suit our new little one and Bright River is such a lovely translation.
Thanks for your reply. Best wishes,
Willianways
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby bill » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Willianways;Lussa is a great name for your dog.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby thomas methvin » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 am

The best i can figure , lussa : rage , fury , frenzy. i do know that in greek it means " wolfs rage " . How the word lussa found its way to Scotland ,,, ????? ,,, I dont know, the romans had a lot of influence in Scotland , did they bring the word and it get infused into the language ? the norse ? There are several areas with the word lussa in them . Do you know when the river lussa accquired its name ? or inverlussa was named ? lussa bay ? glen lussa ? Scotland at one time had a lot of wolves , could these areas have been heavily pouplated with wolves at one time in history ? People use to burry their dead in areas were wolves couldnt easily get to them. Werewolves where also a part of beliefs for centuries :?: I dont speak any gaelic and don't know if it's in any of the gaelic languages . I found this bit on the net : Luss , if not mistaken , the old county , Dumbarton , or lus in the 1200's , having a meaning of : goidelic : lus " herb" and something I didn't know, that on the river lussa there are some ruins that date back to 7000 BC. Now i am really wondering how the word lussa fits into the picture ,,, wish me happy hunting , you just stuck me on the net for a few days , lol . .. it is a nice name ... does he look like a wolf ? :D Hope it was a little bit of help .
thomas methvin
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:42 am

Greek mythology.Lussa was the goddess of madness.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Willianways » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Oh gosh, Landrover Roger. That is a lot of research into the deep mists of the olden days. All border collies look a bit like wolves in the dark and they do have their moments of madness. I have seen the word herbs connected with Luss in Dunbartonshire. I'm hoping it does mean "bright river" as Bill suggests but I am fascinated by your research.
Willianways
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local History and Discussion