The Lochend church

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby petewick » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 pm

[quote="mags"]Can you remember the lane that ran between the two of them - took you from the church through to Lady Mary Row at the bottom of Broad Street. Think it got the name of "the wee close", but can't quite remember if that's right.

I remember it being refered to as Parliament Lane.

petewick
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: The Lochend church

Postby JMB » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

I was just about to add some pictures of the Campbeltown War Memorial to the IWM WMR and doing a search for any dates for it when I saw this news item.

The Scotsman - Friday 03 February 1922
WAR MEMORIALS
CAMPBELTOWN. — A memorial pipe organ, gifted to Lochend United Free Church , Campbeltown, by Mr and Mrs John J. M'Eachran, of Cardiff and Belmount, Campbeltown in memory of their only son, Lieut Charles M'Eachran, Devonshire Regiment, who was killed in action at Kut el Amara, Mesopotamia, on 3rd February 1917, has been unveiled and dedicated.

I see the church was demolished, does anyone knows what happened to the memorial pipe organ or at least any dedication plaques?

Were there any other war memorials in the church?
JMB
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JMB » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:34 am

This website has details of the organ

KINTYRE'S CHURCH ORGANS

When Campbeltown's Lochend United Free Church was demolished in 1984, its 1922-built Harrison pipe organ was dismantled and its parts incorporated in a a 1987/1998 rebuild and enlargement of the Harrison organ in St JamesThe Greater Church in Haydock, which is between Liverpool and Manchester, very close to the M6 motorway.
JMB
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby JMB » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Also a memorial tablet and Roll of Honour

The Scotsman - Friday 24 December 1920
WAR MEMORIALS
CAMPBELTOWN. — A memorial tablet, containing 22 names of the fallen, and a roll of honour , * consisting of 134 names , were unveiled ih . Lochend U.F. Church, Campbeltown, by Mrs A . Hamilton and Mrs Paterson respectively.

Does it / they survive?
JMB
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion