Highland Parish thingy.

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Highland Parish thingy.

Postby Dunc » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:43 pm

Nice to meet today Davie.I think there was a urn or plaque found in the wall of the church in kirk Street belonging to Duchess of Argyll who lived up at Limecraigs. It's in the Campbeltown Book Davie.
I always remembered an old man(when I was wee) telling me an old Scottish King was buried in the Triangle across from the Ardshiel.I looked into this and found that there was a graveyard attached to the Highland Parish church which stood on this site prior to moving up the hill.Was quite a big building built in shape of Cross. When building took place on this site Craigdhu or Pensioners Row some skulls were found.The only King I could find was if I remember a King Aidan but he was said to be buried in Kilkerran Cemetary in an old church long since gone in the old Graveyard but again at the time this guy died Kilkerran did,t exist.Think it started in St Kiarens time. So....it may be true after all. Need BBC Timeteam to have a look with their ground radar at the triangle. Certainly there was railings round it..later taken down during the war.
As kids we all thought it was haunted so there you go.Old map in Campbeltown Book shows this church.

I think this could be a "big" thread Davie !!

Cheers
Dunc
Dunc
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Ship called Dignity » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:26 pm

I remember reading this some years ago - anyone got anything on it?
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:13 pm

I heard the story about the king being buried there when I was in town also. Would be interesting to hear what they find in there.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion