Anyone recognise this Pipe Band?

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Anyone recognise this Pipe Band?

Postby amron » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:18 pm

Having a wee prowl through some photos...does anyone know which pipe band this is and where it was taken...

amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Anyone recognise this Pipe Band?

Postby bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 pm

I have copied the photograph and description below from The Historic Kintyre site.It would seem both photographs were taken on the same day.

http://www.campbeltownloch.com/photogal ... oto_id=376

Donny McGougan leads the Ceann Loch Pipe Band for a parade through the streets of Campbeltown sometime during the 1950's. The band was formed by soldiers returning home from the Second World War and was made up mostly of ex 8th Argyll's. They wore what uniforms they had remaining from the war and were affectionately known as 'The Tinks' To the left of Donny is William Wilson (Dilly) and to the right is George McIntyre (Tripe).

The comment below was as you can see by dunc99

dunc99 on March 13 2009 14:35:32
I recognise the location. They are going down the Main Street, the building to the left was knocked down to build Woolworths. It housed the TSB, and I seem to remember a fishmongers as well.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Anyone recognise this Pipe Band?

Postby amron » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks Bill...I think I have found out who the boy with the shorts is :lol: need to get my dad to confirm it....and I think Jim Coffield is in there somewhere..I might have the wrong name I will find out tomorrow if this is the correct photo... :D
amron
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion