Campbeltown Senior Gaelic Choir in 1948 - Photo

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Campbeltown Senior Gaelic Choir in 1948 - Photo

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Here is a photo sent to me all the way from Canada of the Campbeltown Senior Gaelic Choir in 1948 pictured at the MOD in Glasgow. The Campbeltown choirs were a source of great pride to the town. For instance, between 1935 and 1966 the senior choir won the coveted Lovat & Tullibardine Shield on 15 occasions. (To celebrate each success, the choir was welcomed home by large crowds which were treated to a rendition of the winning song.)

I have some more to share and will post these when I can. Anyway, the original photo below, then two cropped versions showing close ups. Recognise anyone?

1948 GLASGOW MOD

Front row: Jenny McCallum; Nan Campbell; Morag Smith; Pat Campbell; Cathie McNeill; Carol Galbraith; Douglas Bannatyne; Moira Blue.

2nd row: Anne McKay; Vina McMillan; Mary McShannon; Annie McCallum; Agnes Smith; M.G.McCallum; Isa Merrilees; Sada Smith; Mela Massie; Mrs Leys; Rose Mc Connachie.

3rd row: Jim Black; Nan Clark; Archd Rankin; Rhona McVicar; Neill Bell; Helen Muir; John McWhirter; Katy McGeachy, Dick Semple; Mary McConnachie; Peter McKerral; Sada Smith; Mr Blackwood; Tina Wardrop; John McDougall.

Back row: Alastair McKinlay; Raymond Black; John McCallum; Harry Lavery; Sandy Lavery; Dennis McWhirter; Calum Nicholson; Robert Mitchell; James Gulliver; Maurice Henderson; Sam Andrew; Dugald McShannon; Ian Wardrop; Hamish McMurchie; Hector Mc Neill.

Notes: Rhona McVicar was a Gold Medalist at the Mod in the year before she died.
James Gulliver went on to great success in the grocery business.
John McWhirter still lives in Campbeltown and has a wealth of information about both the choirs and the lifeboat. His brother, Denis, died recently. Anne McKay died many years ago.
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Campbeltown Senior Gaelic Choir in 1948 - Photo

Postby Mack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:42 pm

What a wonderful photograph. Although younger than those pictured, I remember all these lovely people and superb choristers. They did the soundtrack for the motion picture 'The Bridal Path.' Remember the homecomings from the Mod with pride, something to be reinacted in recent years with the success of the Kintyre Schools Pipe Band.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Re: Campbeltown Senior Gaelic Choir in 1948 - Photo

Postby bill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Top row far right,Hector McNeil who would have been the Headmaster when I was in Dalintober School.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion