The Rex Cinema

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Postby The Elusive Mr D. » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 am

THERE'S NO NEED TO SHOUT, PW. We heard you the first time :roll:
The Elusive Mr D.
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby petewick » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 am

sorry mr d, the caps key on pc i was using was crocked
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Tue May 15, 2007 4:53 pm

When I was working in the Rex we used to paste the posters for the comming attractions on to a board on the side of the building.Was reading an article in The Mail last saturday,the poster for "Breakfast at Tiffanys' was valued at£6,000,and "Dr,No" at £4,000.

If I only had the gift of foresight. :( :(
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Malky » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:24 am

Does anyone have any objections to their memories of the Rex being used on the new Picture House website? One of the conditions of the grant money for the new roof was that we collect cinema memories (the hoops you have to jump through to get money :roll: ).

The memories can be of any cinema but we want to keep it to the local cinemas if possible - including the Regal in Tarbert and perhaps the Empire in Lochgilphead too.

If anyone can add to this thread I'd be very grateful :wink: 8)

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 pm

Bill's your man for this!
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:08 pm

tell me about it, oh sorry, he already did, especially the one about meeting his future wife, he was so goodlooking as a lad that she hadn't a clue who he was despite being in the same class at school
general jack o'niell

Postby bill » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:41 pm

general jack o'niell wrote:tell me about it, oh sorry, he already did, especially the one about meeting his future wife, he was so goodlooking as a lad that she hadn't a clue who he was despite being in the same class at school

At least I know that when I finally got a word in you were listening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aye, I was always a shy lad,still am :oops: A late developer :wink:
Last edited by bill on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:46 pm

No objections about anything I have said about The Rex being used elsewhere Malky.

Catherine and I could tell you a few things that happened in The Rex that you could'nt use. :lol: :wink:
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:10 pm

ditto
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby gizmo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:11 pm

when you say ditto.... ?
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:42 pm

i remember my mother pleading with whoever was at the box office to let me and one of my brothers in to see fists of fury, she wasn't going to let us in as the other film was an 18, she relented and all i can remember is that it was italian, with subtitles and was about italian soldiers in some bunker or gun emplacement, i think it was an 18 cos there were some sweary words in it, no idea wot it was called but to this day i think it was the worst film i've ever seen

worse even than fritz the cat, but that was the wee pictures and a different story entirely!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby Malky » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks Bill :D Much appreciated.

Next time you're back in the town let me know and we'll get you in to see the projection room in the Picture House. And of course, the new sound system which is pretty awesome 8) We now have Dolby 5.1 and DTS and it rocks!

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Malky wrote:Thanks Bill :D Much appreciated.

Next time you're back in the town let me know and we'll get you in to see the projection room in the Picture House. And of course, the new sound system which is pretty awesome 8) We now have Dolby 5.1 and DTS and it rocks!

Malky

Catherine and I would like that Malky.Catherine has been in wee pictures projection room when George Durnan was projectionist,but I never was.
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:11 pm

further to bill#s comments about posters, i went to school with tommy galbraith's son neil and we used to get in free to see the odd pic, at home in our bedroom which i shared with dedalus and dunoon we had the posters for "a clockwork orange" "tommy" and "monty python and the holy grail" three classic cinema posters of their day and i dare say worth a few bob now, if you hear a strange mewing sound, thats my brother davi weeping!!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby The Bairn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:03 am

I think I was in it once to see Jungle Book. All I can remember was it was big and coke came in a bottle with a paper straw that became unuseable after your first sip.
Yes Officer, The General, Sweltered and Dunoon are my brothers I have nothing to say in my defence
The Bairn
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

PreviousNext

Return to Local History and Discussion