Campbeltown - Yesteryear

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Campbeltown - Yesteryear

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:37 pm

Found this wee video with some interesting photos from the past

If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Campbeltown - Yesteryear

Postby Kevin Mc » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 pm

Some great photo's in there.

When was the church knocked down (24 seconds in)? I can remember this as a kid, but no idea when it went. Was amazed it did go - was it falling apart?

Those pedal boat things ring a bell - when were they about? (Photo 25 at 1min 00s).
Kevin Mc
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby jdcarra » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Kevin Mc wrote:Those pedal boat things ring a bell - when were they about? (Photo 25 at 1min 00s).

Kevin check this topic viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1380&hilit=jock+shields

Two of the boats are still down in a garden in Saddell.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:02 am

Kevin Mc wrote:Some great photo's in there.

When was the church knocked down (24 seconds in)? I can remember this as a kid, but no idea when it went. Was amazed it did go - was it falling apart?

Those pedal boat things ring a bell - when were they about? (Photo 25 at 1min 00s).

As far as I know the demolition of Lochend Church was the result of the amalgamation of congregations through the general fall in attendances.

It was in my opinion an act of vandalism on the townscape of Campbeltown. :(

John Shields boat roundabout was a unique attraction at Dalintober, as well as this he had a couple of fibre glass swan-shaped boats that he had also built himself for short trips in the loch, which created a bit of interest. If I remember correctly it was 3d in old money to get onto the roundabout . He was quite a local character himself.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby kirk » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 pm

Lochend closed on 30 Dec 1984 and was demolished by McFadyens in 85 to make way for the car park for the William Low supermarket which was built on the site of the Lochhead Distillery warehouse in Lochend St. ( now Tesco )
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:40 am

I suppose it's a matter of opinion and personal taste whether a Wm Low's supermarket (now Tesco) was a more attractive aspect in the townscape than an historical church building and the old Lochhead Maltings.

It was symbolic of Campbeltown's history as the Whisky Capital of the World that a church be juxtaposed cheek by jowl with a distillery building, and was also symbolic of the assertion in David Stirk's very interesting book "The Whisky Distilleries of Campbeltown", that Scotland has historically had a love/hate relationship with whisky. (Here I assume that the Church generally is against the abuse of alcohol, although JC himself is alleged to have turned water into wine :? ). Campbeltown in the 19th Century was possibly the finest case study of this love/hate relationship.

At that time, I believe Campbeltown had more distilleries than the now world-famous whisky distilling region of Speyside. The Toon has missed out here on a massive market, although I appreciate that at the time there were economic reasons for the decline.

It's also interesting to note that within my own memory, going back to the 1950s and 60s, Campbeltown supported five Church of Scotland congregations, namely Highland, Longrow, Lochend (UF), Castlehill and Lorne Street. There are only two left.

However, we have Springbank, Glen Scotia, Glengyle, Longrow, Kilkerran, and the various blends associated with the Campbeltown distilling trade, all excellent products.

Could distilling be a future niche market for the town again? Before somebody in the trade answers me by saying that Campbeltown already has a niche market in the whisky trade, I will state that I do appreciate this, but wonder if there is room for expansion in this field? Campbeltown is still a distinct whisky region, thanks to the survivors who have kept the tradition going in the local distilleries.

I suppose one's opinion on this would depend on whether one worships the conventional God or the Roman God Bacchus.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ChrisA » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Great video, thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've a ton of stuff like this from my own hometown - Manchester. Always fabulous to see how we used to live.

Few questions re this vid.

Pic 28. Bathing around the loch? Does that still happen? I've never really seen any beach areas around the loch, although admittedly I've not looked that carefully.

Pic 24. What's this a prison? Where? Still there? History?

Pic 15. Esplanade - is this still there? Where is the view from?
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby WC1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Chris

Pic 24 is not a prison but a whisky bond. Tesco now occupies the site.

Pic 15 is of the Prom, not the Esplanade, which is the stretch between the Old Quay and Dalintober Pier. The Prom is indeed still there and you can walk along it from the ferry terminal to the Quarry Green where the children's play park is.

I quite enjoyed looking at these old photos but wished they had been put together in the right historical sequence (8 and 9, for example, are completely out of place with the scenes on either side of them).
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Ship called Dignity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:46 pm

ChrisA wrote:Pic 28. Bathing around the loch? Does that still happen? I've never really seen any beach areas around the loch, although admittedly I've not looked that carefully.

Not like years ago but there were kids swimming yesterday at Dalintober, jumping of the quay. There is small stretch of shore/beach at Dalintober Chris, you can see it from the webcam at http://www.visitkintyre.info/webcam/index.htm - change the view to Dalintober. Around 10 years ago new sand was put down but its in need of some attention.

Here it is on Google Maps too

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=campbel ... 07.97,,0,0
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby MPR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:29 pm

I learnt how to swim at dalintober beach, about 50 years ago it was the sunny afternoon gathering spot.
MPR
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion