Highland Mary Plaque

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Highland Mary Plaque

Postby kintyre forum news 4 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Highland Mary Plaque

Observant passers-by in High Street may have noticed that a plaque has appeared on the wall at the door of Glen Scotia Distillery. Close inspection will reveal that the plaque commemorates ‘Highland Mary’ Campbell, Robert Burns’s fiancee, who died on 17 October, 1786, at the age of twenty.

The plaque comprises a reproduction of ‘The Betrothal of Robert Burns and Highland Mary’, painted circa 1881 by James Archer, and the following text, accompanied by the final verse of Burns’s ‘Highland Mary’:

‘Mary Campbell, immortalised by Robert Burns (1759-1796) as “Highland Mary”, spent her childhood here in Dalintober. She lived at Broombrae and attended school nearby. She and Burns became engaged in 1786, but she died at Greenock later that year, from a malignant fever, and is buried there.

‘Mary Campbell’s remarkable cult status was founded on such poems as “To Mary in Heaven”, “Highland Mary” and “The Highland Lassie O”, and she remains, by her brief but intense association with Scotland’s most celebrated poet, Dalintober’s most illustrious historical figure.’

‘O pale, pale now, those rosy lips
I aft hae kiss’d sae fondly!
And clos’d for ay, the sparkling glance,
That dwalt on me sae kindly!
And mouldering now in silent dust,
That heart that lo’ed me dearly!
But still within my bosom’s core
Shall live my Highland Mary.’

The plaque was funded by the Kintyre Antiquarian and Natural History Society and mounted by kind permission of Glen Scotia Distillery. An anticipatory unveiling was staged at the Society’s AGM in the Argyll Arms Hotel, Campbeltown, on 27 April, when the guest speaker was Professor Gerard Carruthers, head of Scottish Literature at the University of Glasgow and general editor of the new Oxford University Press edition of the works of Robert Burns, to be published from next year onwards. Professor Carruthers gave an informative and entertaining talk on the subject of Burns and Mary Campbell and their relationship, which remains, almost 225 years later, the subject of intense and at times bitter controversy .

Among those present in the audience was Mr Norrie Paton, a local Burns scholar, who was Angus Martin’s collaborator, over several years, in seeing the project through to completion. Also present was Mr Iain McAllister, manager of Glen Scotia Distillery, and his son, Lucas, who presented Professor Carruthers with a bottle of 10-year-old Glen Scotia, courtesy of Loch Lomond Distillery Company, which owns the distillery.

From left to right in main photograph: Iain McAllister, Angus Martin, Murdo MacDonald (President of the Society), Lucas McAllister, Gerry Carruthers and Norrie Paton. Photographs by George McSporran

kintyre forum news 4
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Highland Mary Plaque

Postby EMDEE » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:40 pm

It's good to see a bit of local and national history being commemorated in this way. Things like this need to be given recognition for the benefit of future generations. Unless we promote our history it will be forgotten.
:D

Just a thought, I'll need to get a bottle of Glen Scotia. I've never actually tasted the stuff, believe it or not. :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Wee Highland Glen » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:23 pm

The plaque on the wall of Glen Scotia distillery reminded me of reading about her in an article on Robbie Burns written by a 19th century American author and orator, Robert Ingersoll:

"But the most perfect love-poem that I know - pure as the tear of gratitude - is 'To Mary in Heaven.' ... Above all daughters
of luxury and wealth, above all of Scotland's queens rises this pure and gentle girl made deathless by the love of Robert Burns."

Robert G. Ingersoll.
Wee Highland Glen
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:21 pm

What a brilliant post KF4! Will have get a photo now!

To Mary In Heaven - 1789

Thou ling'ring star, with lessening ray,
That lov'st to greet the early morn,
Again thou usher'st in the day
My Mary from my soul was torn.
O Mary! dear departed shade!
Where is thy place of blissful rest?
See'st thou thy lover lowly laid?
Hear'st thou the groans that rend his breast?

That sacred hour can I forget,
Can I forget the hallow'd grove,
Where, by the winding Ayr, we met,
To live one day of parting love!
Eternity will not efface
Those records dear of transports past,
Thy image at our last embrace,
Ah! little thought we 'twas our last!

Ayr, gurgling, kiss'd his pebbled shore,
O'erhung with wild-woods, thickening green;
The fragrant birch and hawthorn hoar,
'Twin'd amorous round the raptur'd scene:
The flowers sprang wanton to be prest,
The birds sang love on every spray;
Till too, too soon, the glowing west,
Proclaim'd the speed of winged day.

Still o'er these scenes my mem'ry wakes,
And fondly broods with miser-care;
Time but th' impression stronger makes,
As streams their channels deeper wear,
My Mary! dear departed shade!
Where is thy blissful place of rest?
See'st thou thy lover lowly laid?
Hear'st thou the groans that rend his breast?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion