Old navy brat looking for Kilmichael School and Friends

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Old navy brat looking for Kilmichael School and Friends

Postby scrapnmom » Sat May 14, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello Everyone -

I am desperately looking for any information, friends or pictures of the old navy/RAF base that used to be in Machrihanish. My father was stationed there in the early 1970's. I attended the Kilmichael School which I understand is no longer there. My name at the time was Kim Hastings and I remember my teachers - Mr. Jones and Ms. Riddet (sp?). I also seem to remember a Marie Covel (?) who had a farm outside of the base and a friend at school named Fiona. Unfortunately I do not have ANY documentation of my three years there. They were lost when my parents divorced in the late 70's :roll: . I would be ever so grateful if someone can point me in the right direction to finding some information. I check Down Memory Lane and did not the school listed. I often think of my time there and how beautiful it was. I used to go to our housekeepers house on the beach (I believe her name was Ms. Twaddle). I plan to take my children there in a couple of years.

Thanks for any and all help,
Kim Hastings
scrapnmom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Old navy brat looking for Kilmichael School and Friends

Postby four eyes » Sat May 14, 2011 5:43 pm

do you mean the RAF base?as we sometimes get ex base peeps on here.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby scrapnmom » Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 am

I am assuming it is an ex base by now. I know it was an RAF base with US Navy stationed there as well. I truly hope to hear from someone who lived there or went to Kilmichael School.
scrapnmom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby jdcarra » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 am

Knew the base well 'scrapnmom' as many of the forces children there were classmates of mine back in 1968 to 72 at Campbeltown Grammar School.
I'll need some time to mind names,at this moment are Andrews,Linton and there is a Terri ? my memory has gone blank (who had two sisters) lives down the road from me at Torrisdale.I'll get in touch with her for some more info.

Photos of the base and homes I'll look out. Couple of posts relating to your request .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5053&hilit=kintyre+gardens+machrihanish

search.php?keywords=kintyre+gardens+machrihanish&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Isa » Sun May 15, 2011 10:17 am

Hi Kim

I know the Macraes from Kilmichael Farm went there in the 70's as did Marie Colville. The school and teachers house are now two seperate residential houses.

Did you leave the area before going to the Grammar?
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Martin » Sun May 15, 2011 10:59 am

Scrapnmom, I have sent you some links in a PM, hope they help with your memories.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby scrapnmom » Sun May 15, 2011 3:48 pm

WOW - thanks everyone. I remember sleeping over at Marie's many times. I am checking out the links now. I didn't expect to find anything so quickly - thank you all!
scrapnmom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby scrapnmom » Sun May 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Isa - yes, I left I believe when I was in the 5th grade. Is the school still there?
scrapnmom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Isa » Sun May 15, 2011 5:33 pm

scrapnmom wrote:Isa - yes, I left I believe when I was in the 5th grade. Is the school still there?

Yes, the school with the teachers house is still there and not much changed on the outside but there are two seperate families living there. I think it closed as a school in the 70's? Fiona who you remember might be one of the Macraes. She had a sister Kirsty and a brother Angus who may have been there at the same time?
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby scrapnmom » Sun May 15, 2011 7:51 pm

YES! I remember Angus as well. No wonder I can't find anything on the school if it is no longer a school!

Do you know how to get in touch with the Macres or Marie?
scrapnmom
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby thomas methvin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:52 am

hey . i was stationed there in the early mid 70s , the name hastings sound fmilar but it was such a long time ago. i might have known your dad
thomas methvin
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby scrapnmom3 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:09 am

Hey Thomas, I am so sorry it has taken me this long to see your post. I could not find this board for anything. When were you stationed there? It would be so cool if you did know him!!!
scrapnmom3
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion