The Laggan

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

The Laggan

Postby ChrisA » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 am

Where exactly is it? Not seen any mention of it on here and I'm curious to know more about it. waddyaknow?

(Holding my hand up, yep, I'm a geology nerd :D )
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: The Laggan

Postby jdcarra » Thu May 12, 2011 12:53 am

ChrisA wrote:Where exactly is it? Not seen any mention of it on here and I'm curious to know more about it. waddyaknow?

Hi Chris

Its a stretch of farmland out the Machrihanish road between Drumlemble and the airfield.

See http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/368096.
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Thu May 12, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Chris ! Seem to remember reading that The Laggan (also known as The Moss) was under water thousands of years ago until the sea withdrew, and that it is an area prone to flooding. In October 1943 it was under 6 feet of water and 30 sheep drowned. And as recently as October 1998 it was a sea of water during the horrendous flooding that befell the area.
The word "Lag" means "hollow", so it may be so named as an area of low-land due to the surrounding hills.
I also seem to remember a bar called The Laggan, either in Campbeltown or Machrihanish area, but I can't for the life of me place it ! Don't know if I'm just imagining it ! Would have been in the 60s/70s.
Good luck with your geology research. There used to be a Field Guide to the Archaeology of Kintyre available locally if that's of interest.
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby jdcarra » Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm

DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. wrote:I also seem to remember a bar called The Laggan, either in Campbeltown or Machrihanish area, but I can't for the life of me place it ! Don't know if I'm just imagining it ! Would have been in the 60s/70s.

Your correct,the Laggan bar was at the entrance of the now Machrihanish Caravan park,the old pit site.Many a game of darts had in there many moons ago :D .
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Thu May 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Cheers for that JD ! The Laggan must have been going at the same time as the Clansman tartan-carpeted bar in the Argyll at Southend I reckon. That would be when we went there, I think (early 70s).
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby ChrisA » Sun May 15, 2011 11:36 am

Cheers guys, I will look into it some more.

Can almost imagine a B movie from the 50's - 'From The Laggan'. :lol:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Sun May 15, 2011 3:21 pm

You were up early this morning (posting before midday) after yesterday's triumph for United! Should have been "Back To Kintyre" on the Eurovision Song Contest...think you could have won the sick-bowl for us !! :lol:
There was another Laggan - East & West Laggan farms in Glenlussa ("West" is now Glenlussa House).Laggan Pool was a bathing spot on the River Lussa below Eas Ban (White Waterfall). The adjacent area was known as "The Laggan" and was a popular picnic place for Peninver folk etc. in the early 20th c. The Laggan Path was a track from Auchalochy to Laggan Farm and Glenlussa.(Information courtesy of The Kintyre Antiquarian Society). Place-name booklets available locally.
Last edited by DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. on Mon May 16, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Sun May 15, 2011 4:31 pm

ChrisA wrote:Where exactly is it? Not seen any mention of it on here and I'm curious to know more about it. waddyaknow?

The local book "Meanders in South Kintyre" by James McNeill, who was one time headmaster of Drumlemble School, is a mine of information on the cultural, economic and geological history of the whole area of Machrihanish and the Laggan. It was first published in 1953 and republished in 1997 by the Kintyre Antiquarian and Natural History Society. For the kind of information you are after, this book fits perfectly. It may be available from one of the local booksellers.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ChrisA » Mon May 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Great stuff, thanks guys.

I was at Ewood park on Sat, just made it back from pub to watch Eurovision. Trust me Denis, I've got a ton of songs much better suited to the ESC than 'Back To Kintyre'! I've been writing shite for years. :lol:
ChrisA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC. » Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Have PM'd you Barry Manilow's phone number.
DENIS.THE.TRUE.MANC.
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby maxmix » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 pm

If you cannot get the book locally....

Here is a helper.... :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEANDERS-SOUTH- ... 432&sr=8-1

maxmix

PS Only one on Ebay :) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEANDERS-SOUTH-KI ... 1e6257289b
maxmix
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby petewick » Thu May 19, 2011 11:36 am

The stretch of land that is the Lussa Glen down to Peninver was also known as the Laggan.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion