Seaweed / Bellochantuy / Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Seaweed / Bellochantuy / Campbeltown

Postby mrabercrombie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm a post-graduate student at the University of Strathclyde studying Architecture and I've chose to do my thesis this year on producing biofuels and plastics from seaweed. I've picked Kintyre as the location for this project due to its heritage in manufacturing, fishing and in producing products from seaweed - which ended post World War II. Kintyre was wrongfully stripped of its industry after a government commission recommended the construction of factories at Girvan, Oban and Loch Melfort instead of investing in the expansion of the seaweed factory in Kintyre. This was proven to be the wrong decision when at the closure of the Bellochantuy factory it was producing more in a day than the largest of the new factories could produce in a week!

I was wondering if anyone had any information or was involved in the factory at Bellochantuy, the drying and cutting of the seaweed in Campbeltown, it being brought ashore at Muasdale etc?

If anyone wants to know anything more about the project feel free to ask and I'll gladly explain!

Cheers,

Scott
mrabercrombie
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Seaweed / Bellochantuy / Campbeltown

Postby Crowth » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Going on the hill in the background and the assumption that such a process would require a plentyful supply of clean water, I reckon your picture could have been taken at NR6656532760 with a view direction of East. If that IS the spot in question, there is now a private dwelling there which can be seen here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1443385 It's the detached house in the background at the foot of the hill just to the right of centre.

Hope this is helpful!
Remember, a penguin is for life not just for elevenses.
Crowth
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jdcarra » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Scott

The Cefoil seaweed factory was about half a mile south of Bellochantuy past Putechan Lodge on the left hand side of the A83.It was closed around 1942 but the concrete base remains can be clearly seen today.If i'm passing this weekend I'll take some photo's and post.

There are many links to info on it one being http://www.scribd.com/doc/6323489/Bello ... ed-Factory
Carradale's local website

www.the-carradale-goat.co.uk
jdcarra
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Well I was blissfully unaware of any of this :shock:

Today Mum, I have learned something new on the Forum :D
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lachlan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:16 pm

The factory may have gone but I bet the smell in Bellochantuy Bay is still pretty ripe !!!

I bet the American boys from Jackass TV and movie would have had fun doing fun tricks with the contents of the shore !
Lachlan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby four eyes » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:59 am

on a summers day the panorama is fab, a picnic on the beach was always a treat in days gone by.
four eyes
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Annie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:37 pm

I agree with Sheik! Never new anything about the seaweed factory in Bellochantuy! However, there sure is plenty of it still about as previous posts confirm. lol
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion