Resurrection Man John McLean

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Resurrection Man John McLean

Postby quests » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi all,

Well it has been a few years since I last posted on this forum and now I feel that its time to pursue some more names on my ancestral list. My thanks to Shona who supplied a lot of information about my ancestor John McLean , resurrection man, which has been very helpful indeed. The trouble is that living here in Worcester and not getting up to Scotland to the records office in Edinburgh, makes it difficult to trace as there is not much information on Ancestry or even Find My Past with regards to Scottish records.

SOOOOOooooo, I have a big ask please. One of my ancestors was a Elizabeth Morrison born 1826–1872 in Campbeltown and who died in 1872, Campbeltown. She is my 2nd great-grandmother and was married to a Neil Mclean who was born 23RD DEC 1827 • Killean, and who died in 1895 • Campbeltown. I would like to trace her parents, grandparents etc. so if someone does have this information and would like to share it, then that would be wonderful. If someone could direct me to where I might be able track down this info, then please say.

Thanks again.

Bill.
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby CaliGal » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:30 pm

1790-1820s is right around where my Scottish lines stop going back, because there's so few OPR records. You didn't mention scotlandspeople... I believe that's still the best place to find the original records. I tend to use familysearch.org to figure out what I'm looking for, then go to scotlandspeople to buy the actual record.
Or look on ancestry or genesreunited to find someone who has already done the digging.

Dena
CaliGal
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby quests » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Dena,

Thanks for that info. I have already tried both Ancestry and Scotlandspeople but as they came up with more than one possibility, I thought I would see if anyone had managed to trace her back another generation or two.

Thanks again.

Bill.
quests
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion