Ancient newspapers

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Ancient newspapers

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Can anyone tell me if there exists a Campbeltown or Argyleshire website that publishes old newspaper reports.
Thanks in advance…, Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Ancient newspapers

Postby glenn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Iain... I'm not aware of any such websites but I can give you some details of the newspapers if that's any help.

1851 Campbeltown Journal and Argyle & Buteshire Advertiser is launched in March; printed & published by A.J.Ewing & Co. Ltd>

1855 Campbeltown Journal and Argyle & Buteshire Advertiser ceases publication in February.

1855 Argyllshire Herald & Campbeltown Advertiser is launched in September.

1862 Western Times is launched.

1863 Western Times folds.

1873 Campbeltown Courier is established as a 4 page broadsheet with a conservative stance.

1918 Argyllshire Herald ceases publication in March.

Regards, Glenn
glenn
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:03 am

Hi Glenn…, thanks for that info. I'll research the names to see if they're on line.

If you surf http://www.onlinenewspapers.com you have access to global newspapers…, and among them is the Campbeltown Courier.

In the Courier "Days gone by" and to my amazement, (genealogy speaking) I found an old photo of Dalaruan Street where my Grandmother and Great Grandfather Robert MacFarlane MacArthur used to live. (a butcher)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10863
But unlike the others I have, this photo gives the names of everyone on the street.

"Margaret Lindsay of John Street, Campbeltown, showed us this wonderful photograph of the front houses at Dalaruan. Margaret believes this picture to date from before the Second World War and with her neighbour has a list of the families that lived in the street. Number 1, Smith family, 2 McCallum, 3 McKerral, 4 Houston, 5 Finn, 6 Clark, 7 McCaig, 8 West, 9 Henderson, 10 Armour, 11 a shop run by Nellie McLean, 12 Katie McLean, 13 McSporran, 14 McLean. Do any of our other readers know more about this photograph? Please let us know! "

This shows that my Grandmother left Dalaruan to move to Longrow before the war, as she's not mentioned on the list.

This is the type of gold snippet that makes genealogy fun ! :) Browsing these photos I'm sure many of you will see people you know !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:17 am

I do believe I have a great idea ! Admin…, hope you're all listening, as this could go global . :)

Historical research using official data, old photos and at times, articles recorded by locals, (as above) is the basic system used by historians to record local history. But there's something else that lurks in just about everybody's attic, and this element contains a veritable goldmine of forgotten history. Old, yellow, newspapers !

As easy as it is to post an image of Campbeltown Loch on the site…, it's just as easy to post an image of the page of a newspaper. (and there's often dozens for each edition)

All those newspapers that were thrown out because they were 3-days-old…, OR…, USED TO PROTECT ARTIFACTS, GLASS OBJECTS OR CHINA IN THE ATTIC !

Now…, try surfing the Internet to find ancient newspaper cuttings about Campbeltown, and it'll cost you a fortune to get access to the national archives. (and even then, I'm convinced that they don't even possess a thousandth of what was available at the time) …, and as Glenn said, there's no Internet site that offers such a free service. Note: Old newspapers provide a veritable hive of information concerning the life and times of the region during their period of publication…, from Joe McBlog's marriage to Janet Thingy; they'll also provide politics, humor, photos and current events that have long since been forgotten.

Everyone, but everyone has a digital camera, (a mobile or a scanner)…, and just about everyone has an attic full of old artifacts wrapped in newspaper pages dating from the ark. Other, lucky so'n-sos will have stacks of newspapers in the attic, simply waiting to be jumped upon. Find that stack…, and the Kintyre Forum will become National-Archive-renowned ! :lol:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby jamiemcivor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:18 pm

You can access old Couriers (and Argyllshire Heralds!) in the library at Aqualibrium. Most of them are now on microfilm, I believe.
jamiemcivor
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Iain » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:40 pm

jamiemcivor wrote:You can access old Couriers (and Argyllshire Heralds!) in the library at Aqualibrium. Most of them are now on microfilm, I believe.

Hi Jamie…, thanks for your help ! I tried Googling "Argyllshire Heralds" and "Aqualibrium," unfortunately I found nothing. Can you give me a URL ? Thanks in advance..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Iain wrote:
jamiemcivor wrote:You can access old Couriers (and Argyllshire Heralds!) in the library at Aqualibrium. Most of them are now on microfilm, I believe.

Hi Jamie…, thanks for your help ! I tried Googling "Argyllshire Heralds" and "Aqualibrium," unfortunately I found nothing. Can you give me a URL ? Thanks in advance..., Iain.

You can find some information about the Aqualibrium at

http://www.visitkintyre.info/activities ... /index.htm
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:20 am

Thanks KFN…, I'm already a member of the "Historic Kintyre" forum and it's a great site. As for Aqualibrium's website and e-mail, they seem to be missing..., but it's not a problem !

Thanks..., Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby sooze23 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:40 pm

I have a copy of the centenary edition of the Courier which also happened to be the day my son was born 5/7/73. It makes interesting reading
sooze23
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:31 am

sooze23 wrote:I have a copy of the centenary edition of the Courier which also happened to be the day my son was born 5/7/73. It makes interesting reading

Hi Sooze…, that's the type of newspaper worth sharing ! Not necessarily the headlines as more often than not, all that's common knowledge…, but more the small snippets with information, local names and more especially their photos. Thanks for replying. :)

PS If you do decide to be the first to post such "gold" and don't know how to get it onto the Forum, you can surf Malky's post of some years back and he describes the system. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1992&p=17951&hilit=photos#p17951
Then again, if that's too difficult, I'm sure someone in Admin could help, or even me, just contact me privately.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:00 am

Iain wrote:…, that's the type of newspaper worth sharing

Plenty of photos and articles. Even the ads are worth reading. All for 10p 8)
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion