WWII Blitz

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

WWII Blitz

Postby Kintyre Forum News » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Very interesting information on the West Dunbartonshire Council website about the Clydebank blitz at

http://www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk/arts-c ... ank-blitz/

and made me wonder if any of our readers have any experiences or memories from the War?
If you have a news article or event please post here or e-mail us at kfn@campbeltown.info

www.campbeltown.info - www.visitkintyre.info -
www.kintyreaccommodation.com - www.kintyregolf.com
Kintyre Forum News
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: WWII Blitz

Postby Lachlan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:03 am

Hi there

My Dad (who died this year) had memories of the Clydeside Blitz which he told me about. In 1938, while at Rhunahaorine School, Tayinloan, he won a bursary to Keil School, Helenslea, Dumbarton.

In 1941, he and his schoolmates saw the Clydeside Blitz first-hand from the school playing fields, where the bomb-shelters were. He remembered the destruction, the terrible fires, explosions and sounds. He often heard the pitter-patter of shards of exploded anti-aircraft shells landing in the school grounds and on roofs. Gathering bits of shell casings became a popular hobby and was also necessary to clear the rugby field of any nasty bits of jagged metal which could injure players. As a result of the raids, the school evacuated to Balnakill House, near Clachan.

The other story my Dad told me about was his father, a gamekeeper at South Ronachan Estate. He was on the hill one day, when he heard a low pulsating roar in the distance. The sound got louder and when he turned round, a large plane was heading in his direction, flying along the spine of Kintyre. It was a German bomber, flying low to deceive radar. Now Granddad, an ex-51st Highland Division man from WW1 and a Kintyre Home Guard in WW2, reacted as the plane flew over him. He aimed his gun and let fly at the bomber ! Totally ineffective but highly dangerous, he realized right away his action could result in the plane’s gunner machine-gunning him where he stood on the hill ! As it was, the gunner resisted the temptation and the plane flew on until it disappeared out of sight.

I can’t be sure in my own memory but I think my Dad told me that it must have been that plane which flew on to Campbeltown and fired on the town, killing the Procurator Fiscal among others. As I was told it, he died shielding a wee girl from the attack.
Lachlan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: WWII Blitz

Postby Sheik Yir Erse » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 am

Lachlan - this previous thread might be of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7539
Sheik Baby Sheik (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_) (_/_) (_\_)
Sheik Yir Erse
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Local History and Discussion