William Mctaggart - paintings in McManus galleries, Dundee

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

William Mctaggart - paintings in McManus galleries, Dundee

Postby Buzz Lightyear » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Visited Mcmanus galleries in dundee for the first time today after only a year and a half being in Dundee :oops: :oops:

I was walking around looking at all the items from yesteryear and didnt actually realise how much had happened in Dundee industry wise.

I went upstairs to look at the paintings and was wandering around then i came to one and looked at it and thought to myself 'that looks hellava like the Machrihanish coastline looking over from Westport' I then read the bit beside the painting only to find to my surprise it was!! It was a paining by McTaggarts son in law, I then went on to look at the rest of the paintings to find ones by McTaggart, which didnt take me long, the next one was on machrihanish beach with Scart rock in the background. I thnk i found 3 pictures of kintyre on the walls.

I was fair chuffed with my visit and actually left quite proud that these painting were amng some fine artwork, I for one did not realise how important he was outside campbeltown, like everyone else when the statue appeared at Aquilibrium i thought 'who's he??'.......now i know.

Would recommend a visit to the Mcmanus galleries if your in Dundee it sa fantastic building and has some wonderful exhibitions in it.
To infinity & beyond, & even at that do one!!!
Buzz Lightyear
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: William Mctaggart - paintings in McManus galleries, Dundee

Postby howlsatthemoon » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Always thought the statue outside the Aqualibrum was William McKinnon of the Imperial British East Africa Company but then again I could be wrong.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself
howlsatthemoon
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: William Mctaggart - paintings in McManus galleries, Dundee

Postby Buzz Lightyear » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:32 pm

aww well must be getting mixed up then, i recognised the name and thought that that was the statue outside.

painting were good anyway.
To infinity & beyond, & even at that do one!!!
Buzz Lightyear
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion