Two photos.

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Two photos.

Postby Iain » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Can anyone give any details concerning the photos below ? They were probably taken between 1908 and 1912 at a gathering in Campbeltown.

The man wearing the "skin" is Archibald Girvan who played the bass drum. To the left of him is Robert Girvan...,
a piper with the 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in Campbeltown.

Thanks in advance.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Two photos.

Postby kirk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Ian, I think the top pic is of "Blue X Day" at MacGrory's :lol: The bottom pic could be the arrival of the first motorised lifeboat, "William MacPherson" in 1912, or the new "Queen Alexandra" steamer in the same year.

Also, have a look at the pics on the Historic Kintyre website of the pipe band outside Limecraigs House and another pic outside the Steamboat Inn ( Whisky Mac's site in Shore St. ) They are about the same era as the pics you posted but show the faces much clearer.

Is it possible your pics were taken by Charles & Dennis MacGrory who produced a prolific photographic record of the Campbeltown area in that era? There was also a lifeboat connection there, so the bottom pic could well be the arrival in the harbour of the Willie Mac.
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Kirk…, a million thanks ! I know someone who will be delighted to read your comments. :) I'll keep you updated !

Nonetheless, you'll have to excuse me for my ignorance concerning the local humor and topical events ! What's "Blue X Day"? :?
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby kirk » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:50 pm

It's the final day of a sale where the sale reductions are halved in price to clear stocks ! It only really happens at big stores in the big cities such as Harrods in London who I think started the Blue Cross day. People camp outside the store all night to get the item they want before it is sold. The crowd in the top pic was so big for Campbeltown that I couldn't resist the joke. But on second thoughts, I wonder if it is Fair Day which I think was held in May. That was the busiest day in the year in those days. Other than that, it must have been "Buy one get one free" day in the Burnside Bar !

MacGrory's was a Campbeltown institution, a mini department store on Main Street which has now sadly closed. It started as a pawnbrokers and became an outfitters in the late 19th century, before branching out into household goods and sports etc.
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby History » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Iain I have seen these photo's before and I thought it was on here but can't find them. I am sure someone will remember where they were posted?

The top one is on Stewarts green with the old Grammar School in the background and McGroy's shop further down, not the one in Main Street. It was turned into a sweetie shop and was well used by the pupils. I have no idea the occasion, maybe a military homecoming??

The bottom one looks the same but only a closer angle of the crowd??
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Iain » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks Kirk and History..., you are both making someone in the USA very happy. :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby bill » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:57 pm

History wrote:Iain I have seen these photo's before and I thought it was on here but can't find them.

Follow the link below to find the enlarged copy of your first photograph.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1636
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby BarbaraJ » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:58 am

http://girvangenealogy.com/stage.jpg

The above is a blow-up of the 'stage' in the photo. The man in front of the stage wearing the "skin" is my grandfather's brother, Archibald Girvan, who played the bass drum and to his left is my grandfather, Robert Girvan, a piper with the 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders in Campbeltown.

As to the date of the photo, my grandfather Robert Girvan died 10 June 1912 at age 24 of tuberculosis. So he must be in his early 20's in this photo. That is why I would assume the date of the photo to be between about 1908 and 1912.

And, Iain, I am indeed delighted that you posted the photo here! Perhaps the local history society would know what the occasion was all about?
- Barb in Iowa, USA
BarbaraJ
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:37 am

Hi Barb ! For privacy's sake, I was keeping your details private. But now your with us…, welcome to the one and only Kintyre Forum. They're all a great bunch. (only hope you can read Scottish…, at times you'll need it ! :lol: See posts from "Bitter End" for example. Love it !)

I've recently had the bad habit of "hiding" genealogy questions on other pages on the Forum, (for as long as they are well adapted to the page's "raison d'être") and I've discovered a wide interest from members, totally unaccustomed to genealogy…, as the Fleming post showed ! I'm sure that Admin will excuse me ! :wink:

I have more information on John McArthur…, I'll send it on today.

In the meantime, have a nice time surfing…, Iain.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:59 am

Just looking at the buildings surrounding Stewart Green, it is interesting that there have been many changes now, but the buildings in the photo were substantially the same right up to the 1980s, including the now demolished Orange Hall, which is just off to the right of the photo.

Maybe I've got it wrong, but I think there have been more changes in Campbeltown's townscape and buildings since the 1980s than there were for many decades prior to that.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:19 pm

EMDEE wrote:Maybe I've got it wrong, but I think there have been more changes in Campbeltown's townscape and buildings since the 1980s than there were for many decades prior to that.

Emdee, something which amazes me when using Google to "walk" around the town…, is just how much Campbeltown has not, changed as I knew it about 50 years ago ! Of course, leaving the town center there's obviously domestic and industrial growth, but nonetheless !!!

I'll probably be back in Campbeltown next year to visit family…, and my first point of call will be to rediscover the back-land behind 53 Longrow. Ten years old…, I threw a stone through one of distillery windows and just my luck…, a copper saw it all and took my name. Here in Namur, Belgium…, Springbank costs a veritable fortune. :lol:
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:33 pm

Error ! (transfer to Dalaruan)
Last edited by Iain on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby glenn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Iain, one of the best whiskies Springbank ever made was the "Local Barley" vintage from 1966 which was released for sale in 1996 at £150 a bottle. Don't know whether there's any left now but might be worth you asking on your next visit. Probably be about £20 a sniff !! I've worked out what the top pic is. It's the crowd spilling out from happy hour at the White Hart to watch the Celtic-Rangers cup final replay on the big screen at Stewart Green (April 17th 1909).
Last edited by glenn on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
glenn
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm

glenn wrote:Iain, one of the best whiskies Springbank ever made was the "Local Barley" vintage from 1966 which was released for sale in 1996 at £150 a bottle. It was made with barley from three Southend farms: Macharioch (McCorkindale), Machrimore (Taylor), Lephenstrath (McLean).

Don't know whether there's any left now but might be worth you asking on your next visit. Probably be about £20 a sniff !!

Hi Glen..., sorry for this post mix-up ! Your whiskey comment should be on the Dalaruan post ! :oops: (Admin may be able to sort it out ! Sorry !)

Although I'm no whiskey expert, I did taste a Springbank about 10 years ago, after offering a bottle to one of my associates. (he's no longer with "us"..., not due to the whiskey) It was very agreeable…, and your "Southend" barley blend should have been really interesting. I'm a bit of a "wino" wine-expert with a what-they-call "fine nose" here in Belgium. (although the noses over here are mostly bent from sniffing beer) As such..., it's just as much fun sniffing, as drinking ! Wonder where they get their water from ?

I remember as a lad, my Dad had a friend who worked at Springbank. I distinctly remember both of them splitting their sides while lighting a fire in the living room, using whiskey. (the evaporated distilled stuff..., not what you find in the bottles) Use that in Afghanistan and the war'll be finished in less time than it takes to button the spats of a sparrow ! :wink: (now..., there's an idea for GHQ)

A few years ago I bought a bottle of Islay whiskey…, it tasted as if they hadn't entirely rinsed out all the soap from the "washing-up" water ! Never again !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby EMDEE » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Iain wrote:A few years ago I bought a bottle of Islay whiskey…, it tasted as if they hadn't entirely rinsed out all the soap from the "washing-up" water ! Never again !

Which one would that be? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local History and Discussion