A visitors view of Campbeltown

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

A visitors view of Campbeltown

Postby History » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:44 pm

"On a drizzly July day many years ago I went on an excursion day to Campbeltown. It was my first visit to this town and in my 3 hour stroll I was not favourably impressed.

Campbeltown Loch seemed tame and featureless. The Laggan outside the town stretching to the shores of the Atlantic was as dull as a section of Central Africa. The town itself was gaunt and unkempt.

The only subject of interest was an ancient sculptured cross with Celtic carving. A gallows I reflected would have been more appropriate. Many of the buildings were jail like and would have been an ideal setting for an execution"

The next posting will be of the return visit.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: A visitors view of Campbeltown

Postby Bitter End » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:24 pm

pre 1906 an the openin o the light railway tae passengers ?
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby History » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:53 pm

Return visit

He realised that maybe he had been a bit harsh and tried to redress the balance by referring to the scenery of "Beinn Ghuilean" "Davaar and the cave painting" and praised the library but was still impressed by the Wee Toon itself.

"The town has not changed much, though it has become a bit cleaner. The effect of the Esplanade and the large publ;ic garden behind it was marred by the paltry and backyard nature of most of the buildings facing the sea. The inner streets are still depressing. Town planning is not an art indigenous to the West coast...Socially, Campbeltown is unhealthily dependant on the visits of the yachts and the Navy. Though there are some good hotels, it is not strong on summer lodgings. Also, it's face wants tidying"
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby History » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:58 pm

Bitter End The above are statements by an SNP candidate William Power in a by-Election in 1940. He was criticised for forcing a contest during wartime. Power's case was not helped by persistant hecklers at his Campbeltown meetings regarding his poor opinions of the town. The Courier finally tracked down his comments in an article he had penned in 1929.

He lost!!
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Isa » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I wuld hope todays candidates would be more loyal to the wishes of the town if they hope to be elected or re-elected :wink:
Isa
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby History » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:04 pm

According to the Campbeltown Book The SNP were trounced by 12317 to 7309 in the election.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bitter End » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Thanks History -surprised he wisna jist run oot o the Toon ! :x
Twice through the eye o' the sun to lift it.
Bitter End
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby WC1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:17 am

he effect of the Esplanade and the large publ;ic garden behind it was marred by the paltry and backyard nature of most of the buildings facing the sea.

Campbeltonians of my vintage and older will remember the "backyard nature" of the properties in Kinloch Road until at least the 1960s and the dominance of the ruinous tenement building (Kinloch Place?) which stood at the foot of the Diamond Vault before the new Council tenements were put up. This area wasn't known as the 'back road' for nothing. The building of the British Road Services depot (now housing the Council roads department) and the new Kinloch Place (1950s and 60s respectively) did a lot to improve the appearance of that part of the town, as did the transformation of the old 'triangle' - a patch of waste ground where buses and lorries parked - into the formal gardens we see today. Mr Power probably wasn't too wide of the mark, though of course the townspeople wouldn't have liked hearing an incomer saying what he did.
WC1
WC1
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby History » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:34 am

WC1 wrote:The building of the British Road Services depot (now housing the Council roads department) and the new Kinloch Place (1950s and 60s respectively) did a lot to improve the appearance of that part of the town,

I remember the BRS bulding going up and thinking how odd it looked beside Park Square with it stone facade.

WC1 wrote: the old 'triangle' - a patch of waste ground where buses and lorries parked -

I still call that area the Triangle :roll: Shows my age. I also remember the toilet bulding that stood there and the seating area inside. Was that a type of bus shelter?
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Return to Local History and Discussion