Dalaruan Terrace

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Dalaruan Terrace

Postby Iain » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:34 am

As a follow-up to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10788 ..., just though some of you might like to see Dalaruan Terrace before it became a street.

This is where Gr. Granddad Robert McFarlane McArthur used to live in 1901..., and my Grandmother Mary when she was only 6 years old. (as seen in the 1901 census) There's eight houses there…, pity, I don't know which one !

http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&source=s ... 32959&z=15
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Re: Dalaruan Terrace

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm sure that Barb won't mind me posting this photo of hers !

With both Girvan and McArthur families having Campbeltown butchers from ±1798 to ±1990..., Neil McArthur of the Garden Shop mentioned recently that the butcher in Longrow was called Alisdair McArthur. (where I was taught the "art" of unsellable, bendy sausages at the age of eight) On the other side of the street can be found a bicycle shop…, this is where I rented my bicycles to cycle to Southend, Machrihanish and elsewhere. (through that passageway at the time, there were hundreds of bicycles ! :) )
http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&source=s ... 31,,0,3.31

Dalaruan: Although my Grandmother, Mary Martin McCuaig MacArthur b 12th Jan 1895 had moved from Dalaruan Terrace where she was born, to 53 Longrow when she married Malcolm Black, I nonetheless, have memories of walking down Dalaruan Terrace…, and as you all know, it leads down to the Loch. As such, the first photo on this thread gave me the idea that the McArthurs lived somewhere in that group of houses. But using some logical grey-matter, normally, the family had half-a-mile of houses to live in.

Nonetheless, this photo from Iowa, USA shows that the 1901 census mentioning Dalaruan Terrace might have only been eight houses long…, before it became a street !

Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby glenn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Iain, Just wondering if the website "www.192.com" might throw any light on your family history search. I think you have to pay a small fee to access the information from Births,Marriages,Deaths and I don't know how far back it goes. Just a thought.
glenn
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm

glenn wrote:Iain, Just wondering if the website "www.192.com" might throw any light on your family history search. I think you have to pay a small fee to access the information from Births,Marriages,Deaths and I don't know how far back it goes. Just a thought.

Thanks Glen !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby glenn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Just wondering if the Neil McArthur builder of Campbeltown who built Carskey House at Southend in 1904 - 1910 was connected to the McArthur mentioned above. He must have been some builder at any rate !
glenn
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Iain » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:53 pm

glenn wrote:Just wondering if the Neil McArthur builder of Campbeltown who built Carskey House at Southend in 1904 - 1910 was connected to the McArthur mentioned above. He must have been some builder at any rate !

Hi Glen ! If you are in town, Neil McArthur of the Garden Shop will certainly be able to answer that one. And I'd really be pleased to get a reply to that conundrum !

Neil and I have "Neil McArthur of Flemings Land" as 3xG Granddad…, going back to 1795. (that Neil originated from Tyree) Curiously enough…, in the census returns, I've never come across a builder !

Thanks for the info…, Iain.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=be
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Local History and Discussion