Town Place Names

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Re: Town Place Names

Postby gizmo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Good God! 130 years working for the chook. No wonder they named a street after him. :lol:
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Trev » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Must be all that fresh air at Stewarton and no pub !! Altered it now Gizmo,thanks, and will start puttin water in it from tonight ! :lol:
Trev
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Trev » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Just readin up about the chook; he was a richt punna mince ! He caused the Argyll family's near ruin running up debts on a massive scale with his reckless spending and gambling follies ( sounds a bit like me on ebay ). He left no legitimate children but was the father of numerous bastards.
Trev
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Mack » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:49 pm

McCallum Street, running from Longrow to Kinloch Road, was named after Duncan McCallum owner of Kinloch Distillery. When he couldn't sell the premises in 1926, he gifted the land to the council who built Park Square on the site of the demolished distillery. The road past the scheme was subsequently named in his honour. Mr McCallum, a bachelor, left no heir and, a fortune of £ 250,000 - 'Distilleries of Campbeltown' by David Stirk.
Mack
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Trev » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:06 pm

A Duncan MacCallum who bought Scotia distillery committed suicide in 1930 by jumping into Campbeltown Loch after losing all his money.
Trev
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Trev wrote:A Duncan MacCallum who bought Scotia distillery committed suicide in 1930 by jumping into Campbeltown Loch after losing all his money.

Was it not Crosshill Loch? :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:01 am

As there is a thread running at the moment about Gayfield Place, I thought I would resurrect this thread about Town Place Names.

Anyone have any ideas or know anything about the origin of the name "Gayfield Place"? :?:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby cathwil » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 pm

It's some time since discussion of Campbeltown place names. I can tell you where the name 'Barochan' comes from: it's the name of a house near Houston Renfrewshire, which was once owned by the Fleming family - my mother was a Fleming - and her grandfather built a house at Keil (Keil House), now a ruin. He was one of the Directors of the Glasgow Bank, which crashed in 1868 (?) and he eventually went to prison for his part in the sorry affair. He married a Galbraith from Saddell and I guess during his better days had influence and prestige in Campbeltown. I am sure the name must come from his links with Campbeltown.
cathwil
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:49 pm

EMDEE wrote:I notice that Barochan House in Renfrewshire was for a long time home to a Fleming family, and wonder if there is any connection here between the naming of Barochan Place in Argyll street and the almost adjacent Fleming's Land in Castlehill? Was the Fleming's Land family a branch of this family? Maybe there is no connection here, and I am just jumping to conclusions. It is possibly purely coincidence.

Very interesting Edmee... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10788 I'll do some research !
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Iain » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Cathwil..., that’s also very interesting ! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10788
My 3xgr Neil McArthur’s wife was from Glasgow, (they were both married there) but he’s untraceable in the Campbeltown 1861 and 71 census. Nonetheless, his son Neil, also a cobbler..., can be found in Barony, Glasgow, 1861. As such, it slowly looks as if Fleming (a Commander alongside Nelson before his death in 1815) could have had more than a simple proprietor-relationship than was initially thought.

Because of his disappearance, I was under the impression that Neil, (born 1796 in Tiree) had enlisted in the British navy for the 61 census !!

PS Sorry Emdee..., for adding/ a change to this post, but an idea has just sprung to mind and I believe that it would be better to transfer to a new post in genaelogy. :)
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=13000
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Previous

Return to Local History and Discussion