Ceannloch Pipe Band

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Ceannloch Pipe Band

Postby kirk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:56 am

Could anyone tell me when the Ceannloch pipe band was founded ? There is a photo of them outside the Steamboat Inn , Shore St. on the Historic Kintyre website, but without a date.
Also, does anyone know when they changed their name to the Campbeltown Pipe band , assuming they are the same band ?
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Re: Ceannloch Pipe Band

Postby EMDEE » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:49 am

The band in the Steamboat Inn photo, as far as I know, was not known as Ceannloch Pipe Band, unless anyone else knows different. To my knowledge, the name Ceannloch Pipe Band was adopted post WW2, around 1948 when a new pipe band was formed led by Pipe Major William Wilson. At that time there was also the Campbeltown Ex-Servicemens Pipe Band, led by Pipe Major Peter McCallum. I think that the predominance of military service in these days provided a supply of pipers and drummers for local bands, and the town sustained both pipe bands for a while in the late 1940s.

The Ceannloch Pipe Band continued as such until 1974 when Pipe Major Tony Wilson took over, and at this point the name was changed to Campbeltown Pipe Band.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Ceannloch Pipe Band

Postby kirk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks for your reply EMDEE which is very informative. I'm now wondering what the town's first pipe band was called and when it was founded. Would the Steamboat Inn photo be from around 1900, I wonder ?
kirk
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local History and Discussion