Glenbreckrie School

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Glenbreckrie School

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 am

I am in possession of a book won by my grandmother at Glenbreckrie School in 1921. I would like to know if the school building still exists as I would like to visit at some point.
Ken
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Glenbreckrie School

Postby Trev » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 am

Ken, The school closed in 1973 after 113 years. It became an outdoor centre (scouts) in 1980, and was put up for sale last year. It's a lovely building in a wonderful setting and should be on anyone's agenda if they are visiting the area.
By the way, the head-mistress from 1913 - 1946 was Frances Foster Young ; she was the daughter of the Rev. Andrew McLaren Young who was minister of the Relief/Laich kirk ( St. Columba's ) at Southend from 1874 to 1913.
Trev
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:10 am

Frances Foster Young was the grand aunt of a fair few regular posters on this forum including me!
She is buried in Keil cemetery in Southend.

I have seen the website with the For Sale details and pictures of Glenbreckrie school but I cant quite find it at this moment.
Yes, it is a great building, in a great setting, with history oozing from its walls.
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 pm

My wife and i visited it last month as i saw it for sale. Had a look in the windows etc. Lovely old building but would require a lot of work. I talk to an old neighbour and former pupil who talks fondly of his learned years there.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby malbaby » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:00 am

Anyone have pictures?
malbaby
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion