Coal Mines

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Coal Mines

Postby bastonjock » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

Hi

i am trying to find out more about the Coal mines at KilKivan around the 1800s if thats possible.My Familly originates from there and were miners,id love to find out more about the history of the mines.

Matt
bastonjock
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Coal Mines

Postby EMDEE » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 am

There is a bit of information on historical coal mining activities around the Drumlemble area in Meanders in South Kintyre by James McNeill, first published in 1953 and republished in 1997 by the Kintyre antiquarian and Natural History Society. This small book is a mine of information (forgive the pun) on the history and past lifestyle of the Machrihanish and Drumlemble area. I don't know if this book is still available at present, maybe somebody could advise if it is available in the town? There is also some information on coal mining in Kintyre Country Life by Angus Martin, which I believe is currently available.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby red » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:21 pm

The pit flooded in Feb.1835 and was closed for 16 months, until a new pit opened in 1837 near the canal and a tramroad was built to carry the coal 627 yards from pit to canal. In 1841 the pit manager John Howie died and the operation was thrown into confusion.
Last edited by red on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
red
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby bastonjock » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:57 am

Thank you for the replys,my Great GGGGG grandfather,was a coal miner there and is buried at the old Kilkivan church yard,are there any references to when the pit at drumlemble was first dug?
bastonjock
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Postby Iain » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Matt !

You just beat me to this post, I was about to ask a similar question. Emdee and Red's replies are certainly interesting.

Like you, my GGG Granddad James McArthur was a miner at Drumlemble, as was nearly all his children and grandchildren. Even my father was down the same pits some 50-odd years ago…, and he's still alive !

I found your posting accidently by Googling "drumlemble coal mines," and this post is the first of the URLs. (just goes to show the security of everything that is mentioned on this site :lol: ) Anyway, Googling the words will give you dozens of interesting sites.

Also…, if you enter the RootsWeb site, (http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl ) and with a little luck, you just might stumble over your ancestors.

Firstly, in the first box, click the year 1841. (these are census periods…, with 1841 being the first) Of course, your ancestor must be alive on this year.
Then fill in the document and click "find." If you get a negative feed-back, go back to the document and delete, one-by-one, the less important details. (profession for example)

If you get a short list of names…, choose one from Campbeltown. With a bit of luck, your coal-miner ancestor probably lived in Drumlemble or there-abouts, and on clicking on "see who's next door," you can search the whole village.

PS If there's any genealogy McArthurs out there, please let me know ! (or Blacks) :)
Iain
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby nimps » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:30 am

My family were from Drumlemble and most of them were miners, from my father's generation and further back... Not sure if this is of interest to but I made a film about Kintyre's last coal mine, The Argyll Colliery - although it concentrates on the period from 1947 - 1967 there is a bit about the historical context of mining around Drumlemble and Machrihanish...
The film is called the Road to Drumleman and here is a link to it:
http://www.jannimmo.com/TRTD.html
nimps
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Return to Local History and Discussion