Question Re: Southend Through the Ages

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

Question Re: Southend Through the Ages

Postby RLShannon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:26 pm

I recently read the document "Southend Through the Ages" by K. Johnston, and she says the following:

In the first valuation roll of Kintyre, the rental of Hugh McO'Shanaig's property of Lephinstrath is entered at £6 19s. 9d. One of this family the Rev. Malcolm M'O'Shanaig was minister of Kilcolmkeil and Kilblaan in 1630. The family left Southend and took a farm in Arran, named Sliddery, and changed their name to Shannon.

Does anyone know how I could go about verifying if this information is correct. I've looked at one version of the book that lists the ministers at all of the Church of Scotland sites and there is no McO'Shanaig. Any suggestions regarding where Ms. Johnston might have found it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rebecca Shannon
Washington, D.C.
RLShannon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: Question Re: Southend Through the Ages

Postby red » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Rev. Duncan Omey in 1630. ( 1611 - 1640/41 ).
Last edited by red on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
red
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby EMDEE » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:12 am

The Lephenstrath occupancy seems to have been a very long one, as it was acquired in 1502 by Gillicallum McCosenach. It would appear to have lasted 317 years.

So far as I was aware, Rev Malcolm McShannon was minister at Kilkivan.

My interest in this thread is that I am descended on my maternal side from the McShannons of Southend.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby red » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:18 am

There was a big Mc Shannon clan reunion at the Argyll Arms, Southend in 1975 when the hotel was owned by a McShannon , with 80 members attending.
Last edited by red on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
red
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby RLShannon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:03 am

Thank you very much for your responses. You can probably tell by my last name that the foundation of the question is genealogical, and perhaps I should switch to that board. This reference in Southend Through the Ages was the only I have seen that coincides with information gathered by my grandfather and his grandfather regarding our Shannon family: that they left the Kintyre/Southend area in the 1650s and went to Arran, from there leaving for America in the early 1700s--1730, perhaps.

I've also read The Shannons of Lephenstrath by Hugh Shannon Stevenson, who seems to link the families, and it appears that the MacAlister name is also consistent with what the folks in Arran know of the handful of Shannon families on that island.

I will post on the genealogy board, because I'm curious about whether or not any of the Shannons in Kintyre have participated in DNA testing, and, if so, what they found.

Thank you again,
Rebecca Shannon
RLShannon
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion