McGeachy Ironmongers, Union Street

IF you want to find out more about the local history of Kintyre or post some interesting stories then here is the place! All contributors welcome! You can also check out the Historic Kintyre and Down Memory Lane websites.

McGeachy Ironmongers, Union Street

Postby Rob McEwing » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:38 pm

EMDEE mentioned McGeachy Ironmongers in Union Street in a post in The Changing Face of Campbeltown topic way back in 2008.
My grandmother was Janet McGeachy, sister of the Robert McGeachy who started this business in about 1900; he was still the proprietor & tenant up to last Valuation Roll in 1940. His daughters/sons also worked in the shop and may well have taken it over after he died.
Does anyone know which shop in Union Street it was and when it last traded as McGeachy's?
I did find one old photo as below- could McGeachy Ironmongers be the shop on the right, just beyond the Tea Rooms? They could be pots/pans hanging up outside it!
Attachments
Union Street, Campbeltown.jpg
Union Street from the Campbeltown & South Kintyre History facebook page
Union Street, Campbeltown.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
Rob
(Robert Wallace McEwing)
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Re: McGeachy Ironmongers, Union Street

Postby dunc99 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:36 pm

It was on the left side of the street. The buildings were knocked down (probably in the late 50s) when the car park was built.
dunc99
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: McGeachy Ironmongers, Union Street

Postby Rob McEwing » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:21 pm

Thanks very much for that.
With a bit of image enhancement, I think I can just make out that the first shop on the left does say Robert McGeachy Ironmonger above it.
As you say, it is indeed now the car park. I'll keep looking for a clearer old picture!
Thanks again
Rob McE
Attachments
Union Street, Campbeltown (enhanced) detail.JPG
Union Street, Campbeltown (enhanced) detail.JPG (11.23 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Rob McEwing
Too Shy To Talk Much
Too Shy To Talk Much

Return to Local History and Discussion