Bigotgate

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Bigotgate

Postby EMDEE » Sat May 01, 2010 6:26 pm

We have become so sensitive about "politcal correctness" in this country that this story has an element of the double-standard that nobody seems to mention. It seems to be the norn nowadays that anyone who makes any sort of comment that can be interpreted as questioning the presence of anyone whose ethnic origins are furth of these islands is automatically branded a "racist" or a "bigot", and it is has more or less come to be expected that this happens as an a knee-jerk reaction. However, Gordon Brown is not allowed to make such a judgement when someone starts going on about "East-Europeans", and he is the one who is judged to be in the wrong. Should some consistency not be brought in here? :?:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Sun May 02, 2010 4:51 am

The more cynical element on the internet have long since pointed out that President Obama (who is 10% black), was chosen specifically for his skin colour, and that all legitimate attacks on his policies are being dismissed as racism.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby tootsy » Sun May 02, 2010 10:49 am

I know I am probably being stupid but how can you be 10% black.
tootsy
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby History » Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 am

tootsy wrote:I know I am probably being stupid but how can you be 10% black.

I don't think you are being stupid. I thought as well that it was a strange percentage to use.

I have never heard of a 10th describing someone of African descent but I have heard of Octoroon which means an 8th or 12.5% African ancestory.

Quite interesting to hear what a 10th means in that context.
History
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby gizmo » Sun May 02, 2010 1:41 pm

I dont know if it helps but a black man can be 10% white.

That is if you count the palms of his hands and the soles of his feet. :roll:

I'll get my coat before the racist accusations arrive. :<>
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun May 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Well, it now seems that she has turned down the Sun (maybe they didn't offer enough and Max got her more?) and has spoken exclusively to The Mail on Sunday, which has devoted its front page and four inside pages to her encounter with GB.

Phew! Good to know there's nothing in the world that's more serious then!!! :twisted:
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Sun May 02, 2010 2:39 pm

GG, glad to see you admitted being wrong re the Sun getting the story. And admitting your bitterness towards the Sun and Murdoch. By the way why all the bittereness?

The real story of course is a lifelong Labour voter asking a pertinent question in a non offending manner to GB. He struggled to answer and they parted company on a respectful basis. To compare Cameron's street interview with the disabled boys father was a pretty cheap jibe. i watched it and there was nothing in it. You don't know what, if any comment Cameron made so you really can't compare.

To then state that it was a bigoted question is beyond belief. Is this where we really are at? Say or ask something that many people are concerned about, the PC mob automaticilly turn it around and throw it back claiming the person is bigoted.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun May 02, 2010 3:14 pm

The woman is a bigot - Brown was correct. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:The woman is a bigot - Brown was correct. :D

Ionns, I'm sure come Friday morning Brown will be regretting saying those words. He's a desperate man. You are of course entitled to your opinion but as you claimed previously not the vote, :D
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun May 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Personally I wouldn't vote for any of the three main parties, as far as Brown is concerned - I can't stand the man.
However he was quite correct - that woman is a bigot. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun May 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Firstly Bob, I wasn’t wrong: the greedy woman got more elsewhere. She also said she didn’t want to endorse Cameron which the Sun insisted upon before parting with the money. Well, guess what, she’s no doubt ensured that he will get in so let’s see what he as a PM knows about struggling people up North!!! A darn sight less that what GB knows, that’s for sure!

Secondly, re the Sun bitterness, I only have one word: Liverpool.

Thirdly, ‘You don't know what, if any comment Cameron made so you really can't compare.’ Is exactly my point! Do you not think they all make private comments? The only mistake was Sky’s microphone still on his lapel. Don’t you also think Mrs Duffy does the same down at the queue at Kwiksave?

Lastly, your final comments. I’m not one of the PC mob Bob, I’m really not and I always respect your views but actually, as a lifelong Labour voter myself, I was offended by what she said! Yes, you’re right, she’s just saying what thousands of people / 'bigots' in this country think BUT Eastern Europeans are legally allowed to be here, they increase our productivity and they get the job done.

See, I think there are two issues here and that’s making offending statements and asking serious questions about our immigration controls. In my opinion, she wasn’t doing the latter. I just wish the GB would say things in public that he says in private – and politicians having opinions? Seems like a good idea to me.
This woman (actually, she did say that being called a bigot didn’t upset her, it was being called ‘that woman’) has obviously grown up in a part of white Britain surrounded by white people. It all rather reminds me of the 50s when we brought all the immigrants from the Caribbean on the Windrush, etc. Because of immigration, that changes society and, not feeling comfortable in the company of people with a different culture and speaking a different language, she doesn't like it and doesn't want it. As this generation dies off, I’m sure bigotry will disappear and won't be an issue for the younger generations, who are growing up in a multicultural Britain and feeling comfortable with it. My 17 yr-old son has Eastern Europeans in his school and he associates hard work with them as they have to work harder to master their second language. There's always a scapegoat for economic and social ills and currently, it’s the Eastern Europeans. Years ago, we welcomed them with open arms but now there’s a recession, the least we’re doing is making bigoted statements and at the worst either attacking them for stealing all our jobs or, God forbid, taking all their loot back home.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobh » Sun May 02, 2010 4:33 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:Personally I wouldn't vote for any of the three main parties, as far as Brown is concerned - I can't stand the man.
However he was quite correct - that woman is a bigot. :D

Ionns, you can't vote. You would'nt vote for any of the three main parties. You can't stand Brown and in your opinion that woman is a bigot. For someone with very strong political views, you clearly do the talking but not the walking. :D

It's amazing how some people try and change a situation. It reeks of real desperation. It was Brown caught out being a hypocrite to a Labour voter asking a simple question. There are people from Eastern European countries doing well here but there are loads on illegal Easten European immigrants who have no right to be here. I have first hand experience of dealing with those here illegally and i can tell you they are committing crime of all sorts including drug dealing, credit fraud, assault, sex offences and robberies.

But back to the main issue. Brown was caught 'bang to rights' and this will be his downfall. If Gillian Duffy makes a few quid out of this, good luck to here and if it brings Labour down even better.
Bobh
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 pm

Bobh wrote:There are people from Eastern European countries doing well here but there are loads on illegal Easten European immigrants who have no right to be here. I have first hand experience of dealing with those here illegally and i can tell you they are committing crime of all sorts including drug dealing, credit fraud, assault, sex offences and robberies.

Oh dear and I can give you many more experiences of British people who are exactly the same Bob.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 pm

Derek Lord (Davie Sneddon of STV's Take the High Road) who happens to originate from Belfast, writes a weekly column in the Press and Journal. Here's a link to his offering on Friday which discussed this particular matter. It's interesting how he concludes that Gillian Duffy must herself be of immigrant descent.

I was almost laughing out loud at his description of GB outside Ms Duffy's house "with that "Here's Johnny" smile on his big baw face" :lol:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1714298
Last edited by EMDEE on Sun May 02, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:39 pm

I'd just like to ask a simple question ...

Is there anyone here who actually thinks that Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Nick Clegg & their cabinets/shadow cabinets ... actually sit around thinking up policy or working out budgets ?

Or do you believe political parties are merely competing sales teams all vying for top spot ?

Would be interested to see what the spectrum of opinion is on this ....
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs