the pope

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: the pope

Postby £3.73 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Govangirl wrote:
EMDEE wrote:Just to get back on topic. :roll:

Sorry EMDEE, was just trying to make the point about this issue being about what we're told by the media :oops:

EXACTLY, still one of the best posts I've ever read on here !

Govangirl wrote:oh and also, does it not raise the whole question of any religion having celibacy as it's central problem?

EXACTLY ! I am not a Catholic & cannot speak knowledgeably at all. However, is the celibacy thing similar to fasting and suchlike .... except in this case, giving up the sins of the flesh for life. Surely the flaw in this one is that we are human, we are not perfect, we sin ! We are wired to fornicate ! (absolutely no excuse for abusing children I might add .... that's a completely unimaginable level of sinning in anyones book). It would strike me that allowing marriage might be a fairly good compromise solution.

But perhaps that would only upgrade the RC's to where the Church of Scotland and Church of England are now !
ie. gay rights, women's lib and a million other forms of militant political correctnesses ....
Last edited by £3.73 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Govangirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:20 pm

£3.73 wrote:It would strike me that allowing marriage might be a fairly good compromise solution.

Yes, if any change is needed, I'd like to see that one. I cannot understand why an organisation would deny a basic human need.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Govangirl wrote:
£3.73 wrote:It would strike me that allowing marriage might be a fairly good compromise solution.

Yes, if any change is needed, I'd like to see that one. I cannot understand why an organisation would deny a basic human need.

Short of castration upon graduating as a priest ((just to be on the safe side) ... ("oh it's yourself ... come away in .... ok, here is your final challenge, we will remove your bawz in the name of Jesus Mr Murphy ... are you still sure this is your vocation? - not that we don't trust you, it's just how it is - new rules an that pal - signed by the big man himself") .... it would appear to be the only realistic option !

Not that they didn't trust anyone back in the day .... but what's the whole eunuch thing about ?
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm

The whole reason they even started the vow of celibacy was not to make them closer to god, it was so that they would inherent the money of the priests (who were usually from wealthier families) and the money not instead going to descendants.

3 pound, your post goes along with the theme that everyone is suspect.. so instead of trusting a human being to make his own decisions, they could do that and "solve the problem" right from the start. Makes no sense but then neither does making them promise a life of celibacy. Make them promise to have a normal sex life and not to touch young boys. That would be a better vow.. (wonder if they realize that doing young boys and/or each other is against a vow of celibacy)
Last edited by Bobbie En Tejas on Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Okay, I'll listen to advice !
But they better re-instate the delete key, cause I'm not joking.
Last edited by £3.73 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby £3.73 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:52 pm

well it strikes me that if you take a lifetime vow of celibacy .... if we chop your nuts off it wont matter !
and it's like I said earlier ... dont give me this self-flagellation nonsense !
You want to make a resl deal with jesus, then get those nut sacks up on the table , and we'll just solve any problem before it's a problem !

Am I right ?

A lifetime of celebacy doesn't require a pair of bawz ! .... PROBLEM OFFICIALLY SOLVED
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:58 pm

To be honest, I think the pope has become a nonentity. Wonder how many more they'll have... i wouldn't doubt if this isn't the last, then only another one or two.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:01 pm

three pound.. i would bet that that solution would get only the most serious and dedicated.. maybe you ought to approach el papa of this.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 pm

Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:50 am

Seems to me the time is long overdue to stop passing the buck.Otherwise the catholic religion as a whole will be deemed corrupt.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:41 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Seems to me the time is long overdue to stop passing the buck.Otherwise the catholic religion as a whole will be deemed corrupt.

It always has been.

And as we have seen elsewhere, the government can make a drug illegal in a very short space of time, yet this and other organizations which have have ruined countless lives, just as surely as drugs have, are allowed to operate freely. This is not just a handful of priests, this has been condoned and covered up by the catholic church for centuries.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am

I notice there's a proposal to obtain a warrant to have the Pope arrested when he visits the UK later this year. :<>

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx ... =152988769
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs