Drug Dealers in Campbeltown

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Drug Dealers in Campbeltown

Postby Govangirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm

ionnsaigh wrote: Of course the home is very much a micro environment of a bigger world, indeed influenced by the values of media. One of my son's was a regular cannabis smoker in his teens . . .
how could I lecture anyone on drug taking I have a beer in one hand, and a joint in the other. :wink:

The values of media? :<> Have you considered he might have been influenced by YOU taking drugs?

Sorry but is it just me that's confused by the sheer hypocrisy here?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:58 pm

Govangirl wrote:The values of media? :<> Have you considered he might have been influenced by YOU taking drugs?

Sorry but is it just me that's confused by the sheer hypocrisy here?

Influenced by me, oh definitely, as well as the hundreds of thousands of others, who were taking drugs at that time.
Ever lectured your kids on the dangers of alcohol girl ? Hypocrisy, well strictly speaking I've never advocated banning drugs. How about you, when it comes to alcohol ? :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:20 pm

Ionns, I was referring to the fact that you blame the media and the law for the rise in drugs yet you openly take them yourself. I agree that parents influence their child’s likelihood of involvement with drugs, alcohol or any other risky activity but all we can do is to advise, parent well and be an example. As to alcohol, seeing as you’re asking, I’d personally be shocked to the core if any of my children started drinking at the age of 15 and no, I certainly wouldn’t condone it by letting them drink. Why? Because it’s against the law and I impress on them that it is an adult activity. And if I discovered at 15 my son was taking drugs? I’d do everything as a mother to persuade him to stop and I would use every ounce of love and help to get him off.
In other words, I have never condoned illegal activity. And that’s the difference.
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm

Govangirl wrote:And if I discovered at 15 my son was taking drugs? I’d do everything as a mother to persuade him to stop and I would use every ounce of love and help to get him off.
In other words, I have never condoned illegal activity. And that’s the difference.

What if he didn't give up, even with the copious amounts of a Mothers love. All those Mothers out there, who have the tragic misfortune to lose someone to addiction, will undoubtedly question, whither they gave every ounce of a Mothers love. Oh by the way, Cannabis isn't addictive, so I reckon our response as parents was apt. He wouldn't touch it now.
As far as breaking the law is concerned, do you see Nelson Mandela and Jesus Christ as criminals - perhaps those brave women who fought for woman's rights broke the law, so that you and others like you could vote. :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EileenH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:18 pm

What has Nelson Mandela and Jesus Christ got to do with shopping drug dealers? I think you've gone a wee bit off the subject here. Same as encouraging kids to take drugs. If there weren't any dealers, kids wouldn't get their hands on drugs so easily. So, the question asked was, should we shop a dealer? Everyone, bar one, agrees that we need to shop dealers. Govangirl has kids, same as I do, and we would do whatever it takes to protect them. So - shop the dealers! We all like a drink. As Govangirl says, we don't encourage our kids to drink either. When they're old enough to legally drink then it's up to them. My oldest is 16 and I still don't encourage it. When he's 18 then I can't legally stop him. While he's still living under my roof I do have a say if he falls in the door out of his face. Drugs, I will not tolerate. The good thing to come out of my nephews drug abuse is that both my kids have said they would never use them for fear of ending up in the same state as their cousin.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:What if he didn't give up, even with the copious amounts of a Mothers love.

That's the point I'm trying to make because that's the tragedy of Eileen's family. Sometimes, we're helpless and that is so sad. But what we don't do is give in and condone it!!!!!!
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 pm

ionnsaigh wrote: Oh by the way, Cannabis isn't addictive

Yeah,right!!!!! :roll:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:05 am

Jeezo Ionns as usual you have got us beat .Did you not condone your son using cannabis and does that not send the wrong message to him . :shock: :?
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:58 pm

EileenH wrote:What has Nelson Mandela and Jesus Christ got to do with shopping drug dealers? I think you've gone a wee bit off the subject here.

Both these guys found themselves in conflict with authority. Humanity has been served and civil rights have been achieved, not by attempting to take the moral high ground ( like some ) rather by breaking bad laws.

EileenH wrote:We all like a drink.

Now there is a sweeping generalistion. Lets be a bit more specific, " All Alcoholics like a drink " So do a lot of other people too, Alcohol is vastly more damaging than Cannabis - it kills. But hey it's not against the law, so it must be OK tae have a swallie . I lost a brother through alcohol, I would imagine that if a poll was conducted, everyone would know someone affected by the demon drink. Whereas Illegal drugs, would be way down the line.

EileenH wrote:If there weren't any dealers, kids wouldn't get their hands on drugs so easily. So, the question asked was, should we shop a dealer? Everyone, bar one, agrees that we need to shop dealers.

So who were the dealers when our kids were sniffing glue and lighter fluid ? The same said dealers, are now selling plant food. It would be interesting to establish our own individual perceptions, of what, or who is a drug dealer. Not too surprisingly it ends with the baseball cap ned, at the street corner, however we can be assured that there remains a top layer. Anyway I've never suggested, not to shop a dealer, that is the problem, although only a small percentage sell, as opposed to buying.

EileenH wrote:Govangirl has kids, same as I do, and we would do whatever it takes to protect them. So - shop the dealers! We all like a drink. As Govangirl says, we don't encourage our kids to drink either. When they're old enough to legally drink then it's up to them. My oldest is 16 and I still don't encourage it. When he's 18 then I can't legally stop him. While he's still living under my roof I do have a say if he falls in the door out of his face. Drugs, I will not tolerate.

So who encourages their kids to take drugs ? - where did you pull that one, out off ? So what will you do if your son comes home out of his face ? That scenario would put you to the test.
I hope that never happens, however if it does, do him a favour and shop him immediately.
If that's what it takes to protect our kids, from the really harmful substances out there. Why ? because they are illegal, and society has no control over them. Drug manufactures use highly dangerous materials to give weight and bulk, materials that are far more harmful, than the drug itself.

Govangirl wrote:
ionnsaigh wrote: Oh by the way, Cannabis isn't addictive

Yeah,right!!!!! :roll:

Well consider my own 45yr experience I will tell you girl ( Rab ) it's noo :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:08 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:Well consider my own 45yr experience I will tell you girl ( Rab ) it's noo :lol:

'Hoisted with one's own petard' comes to mind :roll:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Govengirl .Are you sure you dont mean Hoisted by his own leotard . :P :lol:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby EMDEE » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 pm

Being brought up in Campbeltown at a time when this problem, to my knowledge, did not exist, I have never been involved in any of this type of activity, nor did I ever have any desire to become involved. I always kept to the legal stuff, and there’s nothing wrong wi’ a good bucket now and again. :lol:

However, having three sons aged 25, 22 and 19, and living in a town that is not much bigger than Campbeltown, I am aware of social problems that exist, just through local knowledge, and I am actually shocked by how many of their contemporaries have serious mental health problems caused through the use of illegal substances, and some who have sustained irreversible brain damage, and I cannot remember any significant level of these problems in my own contemporaries as I grew up. Maybe I’m wrong here, but I am convinced that there has been a huge increase in mental health problems in recent years. This is quite apart from the number of their contemporaries who have embarked on a life of crime, and make regular appearances at the local Sheriff Court or even worse, are now dead as a result of this blight on society.

I can understand what Ionnsaigh is trying to say with the idea of legalisation, so that it ceases to be a major illegal destructive industry, but does this not give out the message that society condones the use of these damaging substances and give them a similar status to alcohol? (which itself causes enough problems already)
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EileenH » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Well said Emdee. I think you put the whole thing of comparing taking drugs to having a drink in perspective. From what Ionns had said in his last posting, I think I successfully hit a nerve there with what I said. He will never change his mind about drug use as, by his own admission, he and his son both use. In reply to him about being able to buy glue to sniff on the shop corner, that in itself is very much 'drug abuse' as the person taking it will be very well aware that the purpose of selling glue is to stick things together not get high from it. :lol: They know the risks when they're sniffing it, and each container will contain a warning on any such use. I'm sure the person selling it isn't aware that it isn't going to be used responsibly. As regards to my son 'falling in the door oot his face', I have said before, my kids have watched my nephew go down that road with drugs. Neither of them smoke. My kids have other interests other than hanging about the streets. Above all, I think I have brought them up well enough to understand the dangers of going down the road of using drugs. As for drinking, if it happens, it happens. I'll deal with it. No one's perfect and we all make mistakes. Most of us learn from them.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bertie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:10 am

I’ve been following this post with interest and my heart goes out to Eileen and her family. Ultimately we are responsible for our own actions and every decision we make, big or small, has its own consequences, good or bad. I remember a story I once heard about two brothers who were abused by an alcoholic father. One went on to be an abusive alcoholic like his father and the other went on to be a successful, kind individual. When asked how they became who they are they both came up with exactly the same answer. “Look at my father. How could I have become anything else?” Just because you see a beer swilling, joint smoking idiot doesn’t mean you have to become one.
Bertie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:19 am

EMDEE wrote:I
I can understand what Ionnsaigh is trying to say with the idea of legalisation, so that it ceases to be a major illegal destructive industry, but does this not give out the message that society condones the use of these damaging substances and give them a similar status to alcohol? (which itself causes enough problems already)

Alcohol is a drug. This drug was produced in illicit stills all over Scotland, with Kintyre enjoying more than it's fair share.
Corruption was rife, local sheriffs, prominent farmers, and the tax man all had their nose in the trough. I wonder how many of today's readers, enjoy a comfy life, due to their law breaking ancestors ? ( The list of names is quite impressive )
Of course all very respectable now, pillars of the community, who generally speaking, adopt a conservative reactionary outlook, add to that the good old Presbyterian get out clause, when it comes to breaking bad laws. It would seem that our own dear ancestors, paid little heed when it came to conflict with a negative law. So there you have human nature, you were never going to stop people buying or taking the drug. Only a change in the law, ( law should evolve to meet changes in society ) stopped the anarchy off an unregulated market in Kintyre. Like it or lump it, people will always take drugs, you can dress up any drug as being socially acceptable, Alcohol being the example. The arguments of the Temperance Movement, The Church of Scotland, and a hundred Holy Wullies, fell by the wayside of progress. Control of drugs has certain health and safety obligations attached. I wish some would stop pulling the hair out their head, because of some self perceived moral dilemma, about parental responsibility and the hangups that undoubtedly go with it. :roll:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs