Drug Dealers in Campbeltown

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Drug Dealers in Campbeltown

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

The biggest drug dealers in Campbeltown, sell drugs here in Glasgow. It makes us ill, and over the years has killed millions of us. Would I attempt to ban alcohol, no of course I wouldn't. So why should I support the continuation of the banning of a safer drug, than alcohol ?
Shop a dealer,

Springbank Distillery
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bertie » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 am

So why should I support the continuation of the banning of a safer drug, than alcohol ?

I would have thought on the basis that one is a banned substance and the other isn't. :roll:
Bertie
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby EileenH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 pm

It's banned for a reason. You can have too much to drink and have a bad hangover. Too many drugs and you would end up dead. There is no comparison really.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Sweltered » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 pm

EileenH wrote:It's banned for a reason. You can have too much to drink and have a bad hangover. Too many drugs and you would end up dead. There is no comparison really.

Unfortunately, the comparison is very real. The only difference is that alcohol is legal. Alcohol & prescribed drugs are more of a blight on humanity that illicit drugs are, they are however more socially acceptable. Ironically enough, people under the influence of illicit drugs are less likely to get behind the wheel of a car...Too much alcohol MIGHT not kill you, but I wouldn't be so sure about it being responsible for killing other road users....
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EileenH » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 am

I'm not so sure you would be less likely to get behind the wheel after drug use. I think you would be more likely to, under the assumption that you would be less likely to be caught! You only have to read the paper to realise that more and more people are being caught driving while under the influence of drugs. At least when you drink alchohol you know what the ingredients are and you know the damage it will cause. Half of these kids trying out drugs have no idea what they might be taking. Have you read the papers in the last week? Several teenagers have died taking drugs that turned out to have contained substances that kill. I bet their parents are wishing they had got drunk instead and they were only dealing with a severe hangover. If I had to choose the lesser of two evils, I would rather my son came in drunk than high on drugs.
EileenH
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby SBpete » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 am

The biggest drug dealers in Campbeltown, sell drugs here in Glasgow. It makes us ill, and over the years has killed millions of us. Would I attempt to ban alcohol, no of course I wouldn't. So why should I support the continuation of the banning of a safer drug, than alcohol ?
Shop a dealer,

Springbank Distillery

wait a minute, Glen Scotia Distillery makes twice as much whisky as we do. :shock:
SBpete
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:19 pm

SBpete wrote:wait a minute, Glen Scotia Distillery makes twice as much whisky as we do. :shock:

Sorry about that then, here is the revised list.

Drug Dealers in Campbeltown

Glen Scotia Distillery
Springbank Distillery
Public Houses
Hotels
Hospital
Doctors
Vets
Chemists
Tesco
Coop
Newsagents
Petrol Station
Church
Chapel

All deal in drugs, one way or the other. :roll:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 pm

EileenH wrote:At least when you drink alchohol you know what the ingredients are and you know the damage it will cause. Half of these kids trying out drugs have no idea what they might be taking.

Absolutely, that is one of the main reasons, as to why it should be controlled. Have you any idea the damage the alcohol drug causes ? The amount of hospital admissions, related to alcohol abuse is staggering ( wee pun ) Three thousands Scots died last year from alcohol, and that number continues to rise. Alcohol is a contributing factor in domestic abuse. Liver disease, car accidents, days off work, all add to the gloomy picture of the drunken Scot. When juxtaposed with the banned Cannabis plant, alcohol damage, far outstrips the cost to Scotland, than Cannabis ever could.

EileenH wrote:I bet their parents are wishing they had got drunk instead and they were only dealing with a severe hangover.

Yes unfortunately true enough, however do you remember the amount of deaths in Russia, due to illicit distilling Vodka
In other words, if Alcohol was banned tomorrow, illicit and dangerous elements would undoubtedly go into production, with no control over the ingredients. Yet we expect our young people, to be exposed to the illicit production of back street laboratories. Why because it is against the law, which is even further compounded by a " it is your fault if you take it " type of attitude. Hardly caring for our young people, now is it ?

Legalise, control the quality and distribution, much in the same way Alcohol is restricted. Just a thought.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

Is it not the case that alcohol is such a major problem simply because it is legal, and because of this it is regarded as being OK to be drunk (although certainly not by everyone) and does this not suggest that to legalise other substances and place them on the same footing would just open the floodgates, as it would then become quite legitimate to use the stuff openly in the same way? :?

Although alcohol is accepted and has become so entrenched in our culture, if it were just discovered now it would undoubtedly be made illegal.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:34 pm

It's all quite simple. You take a (for arguments sake) perfectly functional brain.
By somehow getting some substance (be it drugs or alcohol or whatever) into your system.
This causes the brain to malfunction.

This thread has run to a load of pages, and for the life of me, there is no cohesive argument for anything.
It's like watching a scattergun.

What is the argument here ?

Is it for or against alcohol?
Is it against profiteers?
Is it recognising the general recreational/non-recreational substance use/abuse in society?

Focus people ....focus ! (or are you writing under the influence)
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Sweltered » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:05 pm

The thread is doing EXACTLY what I wanted it to do....stimulate conversations about the drug problem, which includes alcohol. Unfortunately, banning alcohol would not solve the problem. That can only be accomplished when we stop glorifying drink.
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby £3.73 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:05 pm

Sweltered wrote:Funny how this topic has rarely come up on here....considering the roaring trade they do in the town. Nice of the courier to start charging for content when an interesting story comes up and I can't access it.

Was it anyone I'd know?

:@
most days I feel like Gene Hackman in the Poseidon Adventure
£3.73
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:07 pm

£3.73 wrote:This thread has run to a load of pages, and for the life of me, there is no cohesive argument for anything.
It's like watching a scattergun.

What is the argument here ?

Whats the rush ? bearing in mind that with the help of gravity, water should find the path of least resistance. Surely the point of debate, is to study and dissect various standpoints, see where people are coming from - going too. Personally I found this thread interesting and informing, and judging by the number of replies, others do too.
So what's your take ? Should Cannabis be legalised ? Should all drugs be controlled ? Should we lift the stigma, of illegal drug activity ?
Last edited by ionnsaigh on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Sweltered » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:28 pm

£3.73 wrote:
Sweltered wrote:Funny how this topic has rarely come up on here....considering the roaring trade they do in the town. Nice of the courier to start charging for content when an interesting story comes up and I can't access it.

Was it anyone I'd know?

:@

I'm just guessing here, but when someone starts a thread, isn't taken for granted that the wish is that it'll stimulate a response. Good god, do you have to have a checklist for a thread now! I'll bet you have a sign on your bedroom wall saying "trousers first, then shoes" :lol:
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 pm

The cart before the horse analogy, sprang to mind. :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs