Birmingham couple jailed for starving Khyra Ishaq

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Birmingham couple jailed for starving Khyra Ishaq

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:26 am

blueboyno1 wrote:What good does it do to remove these deviants for 2/3/4 years only for them to re offend as soon as they are released .
I seem to remember a passsage in the bible which says ,vengance is mine said the lord and an eye for an eye.

Exactly the point blueboyno1. Both you and the girl share not only opinions, you also share a belief in a God, and the teachings of the bible. Yet your fervor for greater punishment, appears vengeful. Surely the meaning of the passage is, leave well alone, for this is a matter for god. The turn the other cheek sermon, seems to reinforces Christianities strict doctrine, when it comes to punishment and retribution.
Even when you look at biblical weights and measures legislation, an eye for an eye, or a tooth for a tooth, infers that of equal measure. A balance between things, the scales of Justice spring to mind. Another way of looking at it is, that the punishment should be exactly equal to the crime. What type of Atheist would I be ? if I choose to ignore the most basic tenets of Atheism. It would cast doubt on my credibility, and given in a certain light, may seem Hypocritical.
If we can agree that the hideous crimes of murder, child molestation, and rape have different levels of severity - we can't apply a one fits all type of justice. At least not in Christian terms. :roll:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:45 am

I would suggest that we are mixing up the Old and New Testaments here. :?
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:55 pm

EMDEE wrote:I would suggest that we are mixing up the Old and New Testaments here. :?

Easily done, as one follows the other, similar to the Superman movies, One and Two. No offence intended, other than to draw parallel between Super Beings with extraordinary power. I've heard say that the god of the Old Testament was cruel and spiteful, and a mass murderer to boot. Add some virgins, blood incest gnashing of teeth, forever burning in hell, and you have a recipe for psychopathic tendencies bubbling to the surface, of today's Christian ( at least the one who bays for blood )
What I can never never understand is that if someone finds murder, ( the premature and mediated ending of life ) so appalling, that they would then go on and commit the same crime, in an act of so called justice, is way beyond me.
Akin to advocating the humane slaughter of animals, as you sit and eat your Kintyre lamb. ( anything that helps the babe go down )
It doesn't work, remembering that at the time of Christ, those who now advocate the death penalty, would have been indirectly implicated in his demise. For it is said. :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs