Voting

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Voting

Postby Govangirl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:15 pm

On another thread, £3.73 wrote:

'I, along with 5 million other people (I suspect) DETESTED Margaret Thatcher.
However, even in hindsight, she still has my begrudging respect ... a worthy adversary as they say.

David Cameron is a nobody, a salesman, in fact he's a communist (look it up).
It matters not a jot if you vote for him or anyone else. Because really, you don't get to vote for anyone who decides anything, and that includes think tanks and all the rest of it.
You get to vote for the salesman.'

and I replied:

'Deja vu, I have to say I totally agree. In 1979 the Tories won with 13.7 million votes and 8 years later Thatcher was back in for the 3rd time with 13.8 million. By 2005, they had 8.8 million.
Blair won in 1997 with 13.5 million but by 2005 he won with 9.5 million.

Where have all these Tory and Labour votes gone, one has to ask? Answer: The other big party out there called 'None of the Above' seeing as most people 1. can't find a party which represents their views, and 2. don’t think it would make much difference who won the election. Someone on the telly the other night commented that you couldn't separate the two main parties with an anorexic cigarette paper - how true!
We are still in the age of all spin and no substance. Pass me the Prozac!'

(I would have moved the thread over but I had no idea how to do it!)

Can we continue this argument on a separate thread now and look at the idea of voting in the next election? Is it wrong not to vote when so many have fought for it? Is a no-vote a vote against the system? How can you make a choice when there IS no choice? Why are millions not turning out to vote?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Voting

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I feel that people are now extremely cynical and now show apathy to politicians,whichever party they represent.They are all now seen as greedy,selfish people,only interested in promoting themselves to high office.
(Excuse me,but what is wrong with being a salesman? :lol: )
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Voting

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Och well, that lets me out then, I don't have the vote. And even if I did, it's use would only be a mere token gesture. How many ex labourers from the East End of Glasgow, are now MP's. Labour is a middle class party. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs