Bad grammar

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Bad grammar

Postby Govangirl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:22 pm

I’m absolutely astounded by Birmingham Council's recent decision to ban apostrophes in their street signs! Mr Govangirl gets really annoyed with me when I go about shops changing their signs because they don’t know how to spell or use an apostrophe but it makes me mad! It beggars belief that a public authority like Birmingham Council could be so blind as to accept it doesn’t matter.

Or does it? Should we really care whether or not out street signs display bad grammar? Are they right to do away with apostrophes despite their value?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Bad grammar

Postby EMDEE » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm

They are right to do away with the "greengrocer's apostrophe"! Or is that "greengrocers' apostrophe"? Or even "greengrocers apostrophe"? :? :? :?

In a wider sense, no local authority should take it upon themselves to disregard the importance of grammar and diminish its importance in conveying meaning. The standard of spelling and grammar is bad enough without public bodies helping to make it worse.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:23 pm

EMDEE wrote:greengrocer's apostrophe

By far the biggest offender is Tesco who unashamedly omit the mark where correct English needs one. The author Bill Bryson was disgusted by this and published this in one of his books:
"The mistakes are inexcusable, and those who make them are linguistic Neanderthals."
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 am

Probably imported from America.Plus they can not spell correctly."Color"?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:48 am

ummm... we do apostrophes here.. how come you all think you set the trend for everything, and then when something is bad it is from america?
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14 am

Ionnsaigh.Fancy starting a list? :D Drug abuse,knife crime,gun crime,McDonald`s(with an apostrophe)Kentucky Fried Crap,Burker King.,etc.,etc.,etc.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:15 am

That's a wee bit off topic Roger, and below the belt. We in this country are quite capable of producing our own crap. Just look at Eastenders as a prime example! :roll:

Apart from that, on the subject of spelling and grammar, I have noticed in recent years more and more youngsters who quite openly state that they are dyslexic, and don't remember anybody from my own schooldays who was diagnosed as such. As Dyslexia cannot be on the increase, we can only assume that prior to this these pupils were regarded as either stupid or lazy, and with some teachers of former years the treatment for this disorder was the Lochgelly. :evil:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

Apologies to all.Must have got out of bed on the wrong side. :oops:I thought that Eastenders was a documentary. :D
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bassett » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:02 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Ionnsaigh.Fancy starting a list? :D Drug abuse,knife crime,gun crime,McDonald`s(with an apostrophe)Kentucky Fried Crap,Burker King.,etc.,etc.,etc.

McDonald's(with an apostrophe),just a pity about the Burker King :roll:
bassett
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Ship called Dignity » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 am

Govangirl wrote:I’m absolutely astounded by Birmingham Council's recent decision to ban apostrophes in their street signs! Mr Govangirl gets really annoyed with me when I go about shops changing their signs because they don’t know how to spell or use an apostrophe but it makes me mad! It beggars belief that a public authority like Birmingham Council could be so blind as to accept it doesn’t matter.

Or does it? Should we really care whether or not out street signs display bad grammar? Are they right to do away with apostrophes despite their value?

Interesting post and certainly interesting to read. Wasn't aware the Councils were actually implementing this on their street signs but looks like it is the knock on effect of the National Land and Property Gazetteer (NLPG) which is trying to introduce standards in addressing. The likes of an apostrophe doesn't meet the standard (like alot of things in it!)

http://www.nlpg.org.uk/nlpg/welcome.htm

We have a similar project in Scotland called the Corporate Address Gazetteer (CAG).
Ship called Dignity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:57 am

bassett wrote:
LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Ionnsaigh.Fancy starting a list? :D Drug abuse,knife crime,gun crime,McDonald`s(with an apostrophe)Kentucky Fried Crap,Burker King.,etc.,etc.,etc.

Post in haste,repent at leisure. :oops:

McDonald's(with an apostrophe),just a pity about the Burker King :roll:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:25 am

I gratefully received a state of the art camera, a Christmas present. All you have to do is point it and shoot, it does all the thinking for you. Modern technology carries with it, certain advantages and subsequent disadvantages. On the one hand, if it enables me to take a reasonable photograph, without having to fail, then that must be positive. On the other side of the coin however, modern advances appear to have a deskilling effect, on the already competent. In terms of numbers, it allows greater access, to a greater amount of people. The purpose of language is communication, in other words, meaning as opposed to mere style. God forbid a world, where vulgar grammar, is the common denominator, however the coin has two distinct sides.. be it heads or tails, a coin that lacks either, is a worthless forgery.
In other words except the good with the bad. tHe WORldS A changeing/
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 am

When i first looked at this topic i thought i had stumbled onto the open university website , :roll: but as soon as i noticed Ionnsagh's post i new i was still on current affairs. :)
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 am

ionnsaigh wrote:The purpose of language is communication, in other words, meaning as opposed to mere style. God forbid a world, where vulgar grammar, is the common denominator, however the coin has two distinct sides.. be it heads or tails, a coin that lacks either, is a worthless forgery.
In other words except the good with the bad. tHe WORldS A changeing/

Welcome back from your wee holiday Ionns! :D I agree with you BUT using an apostrophe is ALL about meaning. It is necessary. And your attempt at deliberately changing your spelling and style didn't go unnoticed - stop it! :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bassett » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:56 pm

I think the people of Birmingham will be more concerned about today's news that the council is to cut up to 2,000 jobs,implement a pay freeze,cut services,and close care homes as part of a drive to save £75,000,000.
The loss of an apostrophe on road signs, would I think, be well down their list of worries.
bassett
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Next

Return to Current Affairs