Stephen Gately

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Stephen Gately

Postby mrn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:21 pm

Really saddened to hear about the death of Stephen Gately today. So young.
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Stephen Gately

Postby linda_j » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Our thoughts are with his family and friends...RIP
linda_j
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby numberplease » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:42 am

Very sad news.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:17 pm

It appeared they had an Celtic wake - with the other band members having a drink - a laugh and cry - listening to music over the coffin. Great stuff for a very sad occasion.
Perhaps our own culture - eroded to such an extent - that it becomes plastic and sterile. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby daftdog » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:30 am

ionnsaigh wrote:It appeared they had an Celtic wake - with the other band members having a drink - a laugh and cry - listening to music over the coffin. Great stuff for a very sad occasion.
Perhaps our own culture - eroded to such an extent - that it becomes plastic and sterile. :D

Well, would be rude not to plan the christmas single and album releases without Stephen being present wouldn't it :| (dedicated to Stephen Gately)

These good friends will also be looking at how much money they can make over the next 6 months to capitalise on the death of their band mate. Yes they lost a good friend, but that will not stop them making a fast buck. Not in Ireland, not in the UK or anywhere else that they can sell something Boyzone. That is the culture in any country nowadays.

ps. you don't need a coffin in the room to say goodbye to a close friend or relative and i have never been to a plastic and sterile funeral in any country.
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby mrn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:46 pm

daftdog wrote:
ionnsaigh wrote:It appeared they had an Celtic wake - with the other band members having a drink - a laugh and cry - listening to music over the coffin. Great stuff for a very sad occasion.

Well, would be rude not to plan the christmas single and album releases without Stephen being present wouldn't it :| (dedicated to Stephen Gately)

These good friends will also be looking at how much money they can make over the next 6 months to capitalise on the death of their band mate. Yes they lost a good friend, but that will not stop them making a fast buck. Not in Ireland, not in the UK or anywhere else that they can sell something Boyzone. That is the culture in any country nowadays.

ps. you don't need a coffin in the room to say goodbye to a close friend or relative and i have never been to a plastic and sterile funeral in any country.

I think you should wait and see before you make such assumptions. Not everyone in life is out to make a fast buck and I am sure this is the last thing on the minds of these fine young men.
mrn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby daftdog » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:11 pm

If i waited until saw, i would not be making an assumption mrn..

I'm not saying they are not "fine young men", but human nature is not so fine. I bet many users of this forum have seen or been party to a families greed upon the death of a loved one or friend.

And how many recording artists/record labels/former band members have you seen that refuse to take part in using the death of a deceased former recording artist/former band member as a way of publicising the release of a record..

I bet you will see an interview in "Hello" or "Ok" by all or some of the band in the near future. They might not collect the fee and give it to charity and thats a good thing, but the interviewee is gaining from the publicity he will get for his next venture. They are not doing it solely for Stephen. If they were they would just do one interview and make it freely available to all media and press outlets.

Its human nature to make the most of every opportunity.

Maybe i'm just fed up with all the fuss and publicity over the death of someone famous every now and again and the greed that normally follows it. but, again, that's just me :(
daftdog
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Return to Current Affairs