Old style policing

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Old style policing

Postby EMDEE » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Interesting article in today's Press and Journal:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1406409

It would appear that more police on the streets causes a reduction in crime. :roll:

Maybe we need a bit more of this everywhere.
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Old style policing

Postby Malky » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:57 pm

EMDEE wrote:It would appear that more police on the streets causes a reduction in crime.

Now that's a surprise :shock: Who would have thought that?

Malky
Malky
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby westport321 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:44 pm

I am going to assume that some government agency spent a lot of money on this study. If they would have only asked us somewhat older CN folks we could have told them that. When i grew up in the town in the distant past, all the Police knew me and my friends and knew our parents as well and not because we were trouble makers, thats just they way it was.
Head Scientist, Dept of Mad Scientists
westport321
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby numberplease » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 am

Where we live, in Boston, Lincolnshire, the local police station is nothing more than an office nowadays, all policing is centred in Skegness, 25 miles away. They have a very large area to cover when you include all the outlying country areas, and have only 3 police cars to do it with! The days of the Bobby on the beat are long gone around here, unless the local football team are at home, then they go around in pairs and they`re everywhere you turn in the town centre!
My daughter`s mother-in-law, aged 78 at the time, a couple of years ago, was visiting her son in a fairly respectable part of the town, when as she was leaving the house was shot with an air rifle, and was hit in the neck. The police were called, but said that they had to wait for an armed response vehicle to be available, consequently it was over 2 hours before they turned up! Naturally, the culprits were never caught. When she got to the hospital she was told another half inch and she wouldn`t have lived to tell the tale. Needless to say, we don`t have a very good opinion of the policing system here.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:14 am

I had a weird dream a while ago whereby I had to dial 999 for the Police to report a crime.The operator asked for my post code.When I gave that I was told that there were no Police in my post code area that day,and I would receive a call when they were in the area.Taste of things to come?...Or strong cheese before bed-time? :?
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tom B » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:26 am

I heard a suggestion for a national '888' number for non emergency police calls - which would make it much easier to contact police without bothering the 999 folks. Always thought that sounded like a good idea...
Tom B
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Martin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:42 pm

I think the Campbeltown Coppers are Sh*t Hot. One morning in 2006, around 5:30, there I was in Main Street taking pics. The Police van pulled up and a Copper asked what I was doing.
I looked down at my camera tightly clutched between my paws and then looked at the Copper, "Taking photos", I told him.
"Oh", he said and that was it.
Oh yes, Sh*t Hot Coppers in Campbeltown.
Ouch !
Martin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 pm

We haven't had a copper round our way in months. The current encumbent fell over and broke his leg and Highland Constabulary hasn't seen fit to provide a replacement in the interim.

Strangely enough the region hasn't descended into anarchy and lawlessness - at least, not more than it had when we had a copper :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Current Affairs