Lockerbie bomber: Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Lockerbie bomber: Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi

Postby bassett » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:53 pm

With Scotland in the world spotlight is the decision to free Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi on compassionate grounds the right one?
My personal opinion is no.The severity of the crime is such that he deserves no compassion.Let his God decide when the time comes .
bassett
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Re: Lockerbie bomber: Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi

Postby numberplease » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:24 pm

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that he was made the patsy for the true perpetrators. If that is so, then he`s an idiot for letting it happen, but if he really did commit this awful crime then he should stay in prison till he`s dead. Saying that, he`s probably out by the time I type this.
numberplease
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:22 pm

He should have died in jail.He should only have been allowed to return to Lybia in a pine box.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:27 pm

He is indeed home by now.

Interesting that it would appear a condition of his release was dropping the planned appeal against his conviction. I wonder what new information TPTB didn't want to have aired in open court...?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:54 am

I note that he has received a"hero`s welcome"in Libya.Good decision by Scottish Parliament? :roll:
He could have been treated with compassion in a Scottish hospice.
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:10 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:I note that he has received a"hero`s welcome"in Libya.Good decision by Scottish Parliament? :roll:
He could have been treated with compassion in a Scottish hospice.

That's true, but he will die with his family around him.
Yes he was probably instrumental in the deaths of the 270 air passengers, which is terrible,
but look at the number of civilians who died in Iraq during the conflict because UK and US governments
denied them medical aid. The total was about 3 million.
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Once again Scotland has been sold out by the English .There is no one in this world will convince ne that this man was not released due to pressure from whitehall .We are the laughing stock of the world after the welcome home scenes shown on the news .If ever there was a reason for bringing back capital punishment this was it .He looks good for a man who is supposed only to have weeks to live .What a way for Scotland to dissrespect the souls of 270 murder victims .

WELL DONE SCOTLAND. :twisted:
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 am

blueboyno1 wrote:Once again Scotland has been sold out by the English .There is no one in this world will convince ne that this man was not released due to pressure from whitehall .We are the laughing stock of the world after the welcome home scenes shown on the news .If ever there was a reason for bringing back capital punishment this was it .He looks good for a man who is supposed only to have weeks to live .What a way for Scotland to dissrespect the souls of 270 murder victims .

WELL DONE SCOTLAND. :twisted:

Spot on!
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 am

Do you think that Kenny McKaskill thought his name was McGrahi? :wink:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby petewick » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:16 pm

LANDROVER ROGER wrote:Do you think that Kenny McKaskill thought his name was McGrahi? :wink:

Shell or BP might be more appropriate
KGB
BALD AND EXPLOSIVE AN' JEEST GET THE BEER UP
petewick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LANDROVER ROGER » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:33 pm

How much longer do we have to put up with Brown and the rest of his con-men assuming that the populace are all cretins and not capable of logical thought? :evil:It will be interesting to find that the trade with Libya will increase in the future.What a coincidence. :roll:
LANDROVER ROGER
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bassett » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:40 pm

The lead story on BBC news at lunchtime today was a report from Lybia and a thank you from Gaddafi to Gordon Brown for his help in the release of Mr.Al Megrahi.This supports the claim that Gordon Brown's request to Gaddafi not to have a celebratory return home for AlMegrahi was sent before the official announcment by Kenny MacAskill at 1pm Thursday.
Last edited by bassett on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bassett
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

Postby Sweltered » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:35 pm

It doesn't really matter who made the decision, Scotland is getting the blame, it was a Scottish Minister who took responsibility for the decision. All the money spent on advertising "Homecoming Scotland" all round the world has been completely wasted. There are calls for a boycott of Scottish products, and of Scotland as a vacation location.

Personally, I'm not sold on this guy being the bomber, BUT he should have remained in jail until the judicial process was completed. If he had died in the interim, so be it.

This decision is possibly the worst decision made by a Scottish government since the Darien Scheme.
OOH did they knock down McCaigs folly.....
Sweltered
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Tosh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Sweltered wrote:It doesn't really matter who made the decision, Scotland is getting the blame,

Well the blame from some, the plaudits from others

Sweltered wrote: it was a Scottish Minister who took responsibility for the decision. All the money spent on advertising "Homecoming Scotland" all round the world has been completely wasted. There are calls for a boycott of Scottish products, and of Scotland as a vacation location.

Have yourself a glass of freedom whisky and calm down, it's not going to happen

Sweltered wrote:Personally, I'm not sold on this guy being the bomber, BUT he should have remained in jail until the judicial process was completed. If he had died in the interim, so be it.

So you're happy for a man you think may be innocent to die of cancer in jail?

Sweltered wrote:This decision is possibly the worst decision made by a Scottish government since the Darien Scheme.

Or possibly the bravest.
Welcome...
Back to the circus...
Tosh
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Tosh wrote:Have yourself a glass of freedom whisky and calm down, it's not going to happen.

Oh yes it is, it's happening already and anyone who doesn't believe it has their head in the sand.

Tosh wrote:
Sweltered wrote:Personally, I'm not sold on this guy being the bomber, BUT he should have remained in jail until the judicial process was completed. If he had died in the interim, so be it.

So you're happy for a man you think may be innocent to die of cancer in jail?

Of course there were a whole lot more involved in this terrorist act that was approved by Gaddafi but Al-Megrahi was found guilty in a Scottish court so if he is the only one of the bloody lot that we get, so be it. You're pleading for mercy for an unrepentant terrorist that destroyed not only 270 lives but those of their friends and families. I believe that compassion and mercy are very important values in a civilised society Tosh and I do want to live in a society that always errs on the side of mercy and compassion. But I also believe that these values do not negate others and to me, justice is the over-riding value here. We could have shown compassion and mercy by providing him with medical assistance and a comfortable, pain-free death whilst he ended his days in prison, something that would not have been afforded a Westerner in Libya.

To be honest, I have paradoxical feelings towards the Scottish decision. On the one hand, I am utterly ashamed and fear that now that the SNP has entered the stage of world politics, they have shown themselves to be totally out of their depth. On the other, mind you, I feel it was a extraordinary brave decision which probably shows they have put their principles first. But in the end, and perhaps it's wrong to think emotionally, I keep coming back to justice for those 270 who were never afforded any mercy themselves. :(
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Current Affairs