Crimes against Christianity

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Crimes against Christianity

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am

I'm sure there are many people who will not be offended but that's not really the point. It's about tolerating other people's beliefs. If that 'book' happened to be a copy of the Q'oran or the Torah I would personally think it was offensive. These are people's most sacred writings, their teachings and doctrine, their way of life.

As for racial hatred, the very definition of race is a difficult ones these days and is really just a social construct. There are many Jews who would consider themselves as a race of people just as there are Muslims who believe that too. Under our present laws, 'inciting racial hatred' covers a racial group and this has often covered religious creed.

However, my point from the beginning of this thread is that only the Bible COULD have been used in such an inflammatory way. The 'artist' and organisers know they would never get away with using any other sacred writings because they know they would incite hatred AND that they would in fact be prosecuted for inciting racial hatred under the Public Order Act. No, it wouldn't happen with the Bible but that's my point.

And Bobbie, if it comes down to either cutting off heads or ignoring it, we would be in an even worse state. Take the Bible out of it. In your country there are laws about desecrating or defacing your national flag in public. It's about respect and not inciting violence and hatred.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby bill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:43 pm

Govangirl wrote: In your country there are laws about desecrating or defacing your national flag in public. It's about respect and not inciting violence and hatred.

I have always liked this introduction to a certain song,written by a now deceased American patriot...................

I thank God for all the freedoms we have in this country.I cherish them,even the right to burn the flag.I am proud of those rights,but I'll tell you what,we've also got a right to bear arms,and if you burn my flag I'll shoot you.

BUT I'LL SHOOT YOU WITH A LOT OF LOVE, LIKE A GOOD AMERICAN.

If maybe we stood up for our British way of life instead of always giving in to the PC brigade,of always being afraid to lodge an objection for fear of being branded racist,then maybe this country would not be the cauldron of racial tension that it is.
Lets not forget,this is still a Christian country and as such forgiveness and acceptance of our fellow man is paramount.
It is though very hard to forgive and accept others when in return is an overwhelming hatred from these same people of our way of life.
I know my Summer'll never come
I know I'll cry until my dying day has come
Let the Winter roll along
I've got nothing left but song
bill
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby A Horse called Juan Face » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:24 pm

bill wrote:
Govangirl wrote: In your country there are laws about desecrating or defacing your national flag in public. It's about respect and not inciting violence and hatred.

I have always liked this introduction to a certain song,written by a now deceased American patriot...................

I thank God for all the freedoms we have in this country.I cherish them,even the right to burn the flag.I am proud of those rights,but I'll tell you what,we've also got a right to bear arms,and if you burn my flag I'll shoot you.

BUT I'LL SHOOT YOU WITH A LOT OF LOVE, LIKE A GOOD AMERICAN.

Got a gun, fact I got two, that's ok man cos I love God.
Sean eternos los laureles que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.
Coronados de gloria vivamos... ¡o juremos con gloria morir!,
A Horse called Juan Face
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:04 pm

By historical accounts, the collection of books ( Bible ) was first written, Eighty years after the death of the last apostle.
Jesus was conceived by a virgin and a ghost, he was the son of God. God is the manifestation of religious belief. A super omnipotent creature that created all life, the Earth, Sun and Stars. Two thousand years ago, we knew relatively little about life or science. Evolution had yet to be born in the minds of men. Lets come back to this, the present day, imagine what type of impact this collection of weird and wonderful, yet deeply disturbing stories would have, when juxtaposed with today's knowledge and scientific understanding. It would be reduced to sitting on the science fiction shelves, alongside Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Personally I think that Christians are paranoid when it comes to Islam and the Koran.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:26 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:By historical accounts, the collection of books ( Bible ) was first written, Eighty years after the death of the last apostle.
Jesus was conceived by a virgin and a ghost, he was the son of God. God is the manifestation of religious belief. A super omnipotent creature that created all life, the Earth, Sun and Stars. Two thousand years ago, we knew relatively little about life or science. Evolution had yet to be born in the minds of men. Lets come back to this, the present day, imagine what type of impact this collection of weird and wonderful, yet deeply disturbing stories would have, when juxtaposed with today's knowledge and scientific understanding. It would be reduced to sitting on the science fiction shelves, alongside Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Personally I think that Christians are paranoid when it comes to Islam and the Koran.

I think that is a two way street Ionnsaigh.
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Govangirl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:30 pm

But I don't really believe that any of that has to do with this Ionns. It's about how tolerant a society we are. And how sometimes our tolerance make us seem too placid. The origin of our beliefs don't need to be questioned.

And yes, Blueboy, I agree with you there. Again.
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby blueboyno1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:42 pm

This "ARTIST" is also a pastor of some sort of church ,so she should know about different religous beliefs .Is she so stupid to think that by doing this everything written would be in support of the bible .
What would happen if there was a copy of the Rangers news left outside Ibrox or a copy of the Celtic news left outside Parkhead and everyone was asked to write their thoughts on them .
She done this so gays,lesbians,transexuals could have their say in the bible that in itself was enough to tempt anti gays to write what they thought .
blueboyno1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:29 pm

blueboyno1 wrote:She done this so gays,lesbians,transexuals could have their say in the bible that in itself was enough to tempt anti gays to write what they thought .

Exactly, so well said - Dinosaurs and Epilepsy, or was that monsters and demons. :wink:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Beachcomber » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm of the opinion that the bible contains a lot of meaningless nonsense and contradictory mumbo-jumbo but I'd never advocate defacing it, or any other book for that matter. It makes me wonder if there isn't, perhaps, too much money being thrown around in the so-called art world.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Arguing with someone on the internet is like mud wrestling with a pig.
After a while you realize the pig likes it." - Anon.
Beachcomber
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:42 pm

News CENTRAL/S. ASIA
Christians killed in Pakistan riots
Police said the unrest between Muslims and Christians first flared late last month [AFP]

A child and four women are among at least six Christians killed after 40 houses and a church were set ablaze amid riots with Muslims in eastern Pakistan, officials have said.

Dozens of people were also injured in the violence in Pakistan's Gojra village, which erupted after allegations surfaced that a Quran had been defiled, the officials said on Saturday.

"Six Christians including a child were killed and more than a dozen were injured in this sad incident," Shahbaz Bhatti, a federal minister of minorities, told the AFP news agency by telephone.

"Some people blamed the Christians for the desecration of the holy Quran," he said adding that the accusations were "baseless".

Mohammad Saleem, a correspondent for The Dawn newspaper in Pakistan, told Al Jazeera: "The clashes erupted when a boy of a Christian community allegedly desecrated a few pages of the holy Quran.

"The Christians said the Muslims were in a mood to attack the locality."

Renewed tensions

Police said that unrest between the two groups of villagers first flared late last month over a dispute over the Muslim holy book, which was later resolved.

But tensions erupted on Saturday when the Christian group were attacked again and their houses set on fire.

"Today, according to our information... this is the same issue of alleged desecration of the Quran," Inkisar Khan, the city police chief, told reporters.

"All the dead are Christians. I was told that they were burned alive."

Television footage from the area showed police using tear gas to disperse an angry mob.

Desecrating the Koran is punishable by death under the blasphemy laws of the mainly Muslim Pakistan, but no such sentences have been carried out.

Christians, who make up less than three per cent of Pakistan's population of 150 million, say the blasphemy laws are used as an excuse to victimise them.
Source: Al Jazeera and agencies
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Current Affairs