Glasgow News

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Re: Glasgow News

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri May 29, 2009 8:59 am

hugh, here is a bit of Glasgow City Council propaganda
The Council has approved masterplans for the development of Maryhill Locks and Spiers Locks on the Forth and Clyde canal in the city, which include provisions for around 700 homes.

The committee considered the implications of both masterplans, the impact of a public consultation process on the masterplans and how the Glasgow Canal Regeneration Partnership will work with various organisations to deliver regeneration.

Key to the committee’s considerations was the recognition that the ongoing regeneration of the canal corridor is key to the transformation of the north of the city. The council local development strategy requires that masterplans be prepared for key regeneration opportunities within the canal corridor, and the first two areas chosen were Maryhill Locks and Spiers Locks.

The masterplans include very high standards of sustainable design - so high that the Scottish Government is considering including the plans in its Sustainable Communities Initiative.

The briefs for and outcomes of the masterplans were prepared by the Canal Regeneration Partnership (a Joint Venture Partnership between the council and ISIS Waterside Regeneration, supported by British Waterways Scotland) working with local residents and stakeholders. The aim of the consultation was to build a consensus around the regeneration of both areas through the engagement of local residents and stakeholders.

The Maryhill Locks Masterplan aims to deliver significant levels (700 homes) of new high quality social rented housing and housing for sale in area of around 18 hectares, half of which is vacant or derelict land. The Canal Regeneration Partnership will work closely with the GHA to deliver the first phase of the masterplan, 40 social rented houses.

The Spiers Lock Masterplan differs from that for Maryhill as it has very different land use - predominantly business and industrial. These masterplans will be used as the basis for partnership working with other agencies.

Cllr George Ryan, Executive Member for Development and Regeneration, said: “These exciting plans for the Forth & Clyde Canal offer an opportunity to raise the profile of Glasgow as a vibrant city where people choose to live and visit and where businesses choose to invest.”

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk
Last edited by ionnsaigh on Fri May 29, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Bobbie, firstly I don't think anyone chooses to be an addict - they may choose to take drugs for any number of reasons however the bottom line is that these drugs are available to take - in the first place. The reality of the matter is the medical condition of drug addiction - as opposed to drug use. To play the blame game only serves to feed the stigma and by degree perpetuate the problem.
A gradual reduction programme would hopefully wean people of the addicted substance - we aren't going for the easy comfy option here - however when you decriminalise the act - you decriminalise the person. Conversely when you criminalise the the act - you criminalise the person. In order to remove these drugs out of the hands of the criminals who control - into government control - you have to remove the value of the drug to the dealers. Expensive treatments should be weighed against the cost of drug related crime - crimes committed by people in order to feel normal - are astronomically high both in terms of cost - and the human catastrophe that addiction brings.
You wouldn't question a person with a physical disability - by including a question mark over their productive contribution to society ( Obamaism ) so why do it with addicts - as they are equally disabled.
Why see the problem as an excuse to steal maim and rip off society - the reality of the matter is - that is exactly the type of society the current legislation allows to flourish - so much so that our future generations are threatened.
It really is time to learn from our past mistakes - lets get rid of the negative attitude towards these poor unfortunates and manipulate the conditions of this war - to societies benefit .
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Fri May 29, 2009 11:46 am

ionnsaigh wrote:propaganda

Yeah. It's not so much the propaganda, it's the sheer pretentiousness of the glib "lego-language" that they spout to try and glorify their actions that gets up my nose. Lego-language, as in nice, shiny little plastic bricks of language put together in any combination to present pretty little pictures of toyland that usually bear absolutely no relation to reality.
They're all in there, those glossy little pieces of coloured plastic. "key...vision...impact...sustainable...rolling out...transformation" etc., etc. and so on 'til your eyes glaze over with the epic meaninglessness of the phraseology they trot out with moronic monotony. It's not just Glasgow City Council, it's a global phenomenon. Global, that's another one..I've been at presentations where I've heard the word "global" used so often I thought I might as well have at a pre-screening of Bill and Ben, The Movie.
Why can't they put it in plain language? Why can't they just say "this a piece of wasteland, an eyesore, so we're going to sell it off to a private landlord and get a little bit in the coffers for it"? I could understand that. But when I hear them rattling on about low carbon communities and 20 year plans I just think, (in plain language), "Who the f??? ye tryin' to kid?".
I'm going to go for a lie down now before I go totally £3.73 :lol:

Kevin Turvey, News At Ten.
Last edited by hugh on Fri May 29, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri May 29, 2009 12:18 pm

About sums it up - brilliantly as usual hugh. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Actually, ionns, I think it is a lifestyle choice, but usually they think they can beat the game. You don't just gradually get to the point where you accidentally stick a needle in your arm and eventually find yourself addicted. Sticking a needle in your arm is like bungie jumping, you might find you like it and want to do it again and again after you do it the first time, but the first time takes a lot of thought and the decision to be "brave." You see them as victims, I don't.

What I find absolutely amazing is, they think they can find 5 ounces of some substance that could potentially blow up buildings in acts of terrorism, but they can't stop billions of dollars worth of drugs coming through. Makes ya wonder.

And now I'll step out of this thread, because this subject was yesterday's glasgow news :mrgreen:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat May 30, 2009 8:03 am

Bobbie, what about babies being born addicts - or for that matter having a tattoo done - then forever regretting it. You make it all sound cut and dried with no victims only villains. Have you ever done something that you later wished you hadn't ? I'm sure we all have at one time or another. Do you see the 15 year old immature kid - shooting up for the first time - as making a lifestyle choice? Surely stupidity and inexperience have got to be taken into account. I tend to think that most people are addicts one way or the other - we largely tolerate alcohol addiction - or Grannies Solpodol - yet when it comes to heroin it's a different matter. The only reason we see less crime associated with the former two - is that they can be legally obtained.
You don't have to stick an needle in your arm to become an addict - be it cigarettes big macs or coke.

One thing that I find interesting is your connection between terrorism and drugs - something we - over here - hear coming from across the pond. I've no doubt that drug money funds terrorists - it also provides luxury lifestyles to drug dealers. To simply blame the takers without condemning the pushers - is disproportionate.
I bet you hate having inoculations by NEEDLE :lol:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Sat May 30, 2009 10:21 am

Am I being naive in thinking that's the only way to get inoculations Ionnsaigh, or am I just plain doolally?

Answer must be posted in a plain brown envelope and secured with sealing wax!! Yes, I'm old enough to remember it. I saw my granny melting it over a candle flame to seal a parcel once or fourteen times!
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sat May 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Ionns, I have heard babies scream in agony after being born addicted. So what am i going to say, "poor mother?" You have GOT to be kidding. Will they be less addicted if the mother was given free drugs? And I know about 15 year olds making choices about drugs, I may not be as naive as you seem to think.

I'm not sure if you ever really read my posts or think about what I'm saying, because you seem to miss the point quite often, misunderstanding it to be some stereotypical reply that you expect. My point was not that drug money funds terrorists. My point was, if they can assure us they can find an ant in the room, why can't they find the elephant, unless they don't care about the elephant. Who are the pushers?
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat May 30, 2009 4:27 pm

Not really a question of who are the pushers - the criminalisation of the drug ensures - pushers.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Govangirl » Sat May 30, 2009 9:01 pm

hugh wrote:I'm going to go for a lie down now before I go totally £3.73 :lol:

That's the second time you've had a dig Hugh - care to explain?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun May 31, 2009 4:04 am

Yeah, hugh, explain.. he seems to have more of a grasp than most
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sun May 31, 2009 4:34 am

No dig intended. He just does that type of rant I was attempting much better than I can.
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Sun May 31, 2009 4:41 am

hugh :mrgreen:
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Sun May 31, 2009 5:31 pm

May 28 2009

A couple in their eightes were cruelly conned of more than £2000 by bogus workmen.

Detectives in Govan are searching for the three conmen who cheated the OAPs last Thursday at 1pm.

Police are warning the public - particularly the elderly and disabled - not to suckered by similar bogus workmen.

The couple, both 81 years of age, were at their home in Crookston Avenue, Glasgow.

A stranger knocked on their door and offered to clean the house gutters for £15.

The couple agreed the price with the man who along with his accomplice, used ladders to access the roof where they claimed there was further damage.

They then asked the elderly couple for £2200 to repair the damage.

The couple, who had not asked for any indentification from the strangers, foolishly handed over £2200 in cash.

Both men were then seen driving away in a blue coloured flat bed van.

Anyone who has any information which could assist in tracking down these bogus workmen is asked to contact Helen Street CID on: 532 5400. Alternatively, calls can be made via Crimestoppers on: 0800 555 111 where anonymity can be maintained.

Strathclyde Police reminds the public that identification should be demanded from house callers at all times before handing over any money to so-called tradesmen.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sun May 31, 2009 5:43 pm

tootsy wrote:thats a good start. then they should finish it off by disembowing the b******s and hanging their carcasses from lampposts as a warning to others

Maybe they could do this to these swindling b******s! :evil:
Merda taurorum animas conturbit. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs