Glasgow News

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Glasgow News

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 am

Generous Glasgow digs deep for Italian earthquake appeal
GLASWEGIANS are pouring thousands of pounds into a city-wide emergency appeal fund to relieve hardship in an earthquake-ravaged Italian town.

Within hours of the appeal launch last week, s5000 was offered by representatives of Italian organisations followed by pledges of more money from city Italian restaurants as well as thousands of Glaswegians.

The city is home to thousands of families with links to Italy where 294 people died in L'Aquila last week when a devastating earthquake struck, buring people in the rubble of their homes.

Hundreds more were injured in the town and in neighbouring villages. Some 28,000 survivors are living in tents because their homes have been either flattened or are too dangerous to inhabit.

School closures: City Council's Labour group vote to close 20 schools and nurseries

COUNCILLORS have voted to close 20 primary schools and nurseries across Glasgow.
demonstrations planned in support of school sit-in protestors
COMMUNITY rallies are to be held in support of the sit-in protestors at two closure-threatened primary schools in Maryhill.

Fourteen furious parents have occupied Wyndford and St Gregory's primary schools in protest against Glasgow City Council's proposals to close them and move pupils to further out schools.

They are among 25 primary and nurseries earmarked for closure under the proposals.

The demonstrators began their sit-in protest last Friday when they gained access to the schools at a balloon launch to mark the Easter holidays.

Now the city-wide 'Save Our Schools' campaign is to show its support for the parents with a march through the Wyndford estate tonight at 6.30pm.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: Glasgow News

Postby Govangirl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 am

Very interesting Ionns. However, help me out here, I'm just wondering why we need news from Glasgow on the Kintyre forum? :?
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Why did we need your info about the holiday you had on Islay?

I am as interested in the story about the good people in Glasgow giving to a worthy cause as any other news.
Are we now to be censored by mere posters as to what we can or cannot read on here?
Some days I jeest donno hoots hoot an hoots naw hoot.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Location: Ur we therr yet mammy? Naw we'll be therr in a wee while or two.

Postby Govangirl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Oh for goodness sake, I was merely asking a question, not dabbling in censorship! I had read about the stories in the news whereas I doubt you read in the newspaper about my Islay exploits. There was no hidden agenda here, I just wanted to know if there was a reason behind Ionns' post, that's all. But sorry, I'll leave you to arrange the details of this 'mere poster's' public hanging. :roll: :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

And I wanted to know why the story about Islay deserved any more exposure on here than the one about Glasgow did!

Is this Forum best suited to highlighting trivial holiday stories, and the big issues only for TV news and newspapers?
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby vanadium » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:59 pm

That's a bit strong Pete :shock: You trying to get rid of GG then?
vanadium
The Quiet Type
The Quiet Type

Postby Pete Reek » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:10 pm

And she's a "shrinking violet" when it comes to airing her views?
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:51 pm

I think the point is that money is being collected on the spot by people pulling together while schools are being closed. Seems like a good point, at least for conversation's sake. Seems that happens in communities all over the globe. Unfortunately, people can't see the disaster of schools closing and lack of funds for education until its too late.

Mr. Peter Reek! Haven't seen you in forever!
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:I think the point is that money is being collected on the spot by people pulling together while schools are being closed. Seems like a good point, at least for conversation's sake. Seems that happens in communities all over the globe. Unfortunately, people can't see the disaster of schools closing and lack of funds for education until its too late.

That is exactly what I took from Ionn's post...contrasting of the 2 stories.
Can a community not do the same sort of fund-raising to help keep schools open? I'm all for helping others, especially during a disaster, but when disaster is sitting on your very own doorstep, shouldn't you start there?? As Bobbie points out, that many schools having to be closed is surely considered a disaster?!?
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:45 pm

I thought that it may be a good idea to post wee snippets of news from Glasgow. As I'm sure most folk in Kintyre have some affiliation with Glasgow. My intention would be to post, maybe twice a week, on wee stories that might not otherwise be read in Kintyre. We have a small paper named the Digger, stories from the Glasgow courts, local gangsters crime - bent cops neighbours from hell etc. I don't personally read this - however I could post wee stories. Not sure about painting such a dark picture of my hometown though - so hopefully I would include some that reflect the true spirit of Glasgow.
I suspect Govan ( although she would deny it ) doesn't like criticism of the Labour Party - even at a local level. However they are the ones responsible for closing our schools. :twisted:
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Pete Reek » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 pm

Bobbie En Tejas wrote:I think the point is that money is being collected on the spot by people pulling together while schools are being closed. Seems like a good point, at least for conversation's sake. Seems that happens in communities all over the globe. Unfortunately, people can't see the disaster of schools closing and lack of funds for education until its too late.

Mr. Peter Reek! Haven't seen you in forever!

Due in no small part to some of the stuff on here Bubba.
As you well know, I was among the regular posters on here, until one of the many upheavals that were characteristic of the Kintyre Forum, made me think that perhaps I should just read rather than write.
I deleted most of my postings as I didn't intend ever coming back, and I'm sure there are those that would welcome such a commitment from me.
However, the occasional item makes my fingers itch for the keyboard, but only very occasionaly.
Pete Reek
Quite a Regular
Quite a Regular

Postby Govangirl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:53 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:I suspect Govan ( although she would deny it ) doesn't like criticism of the Labour Party - even at a local level. However they are the ones responsible for closing our schools. :twisted:

No Ionns, you obviously, disappointingly, don't know me well enough. I thought you did. The Labour Party have been my BIGGEST betrayal and disappointment of my entire life and I agree with you totally on that last point. I apologise too for the misunderstanding earlier. I was up too early, was a bit thick, read the subject heading and didn't connect your two stories. As you have never, ever held a grudge, I know you won't hold it against me. :D As for Pete, peace and love, friend, peace and love. :wink:
Govangirl
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ionnsaigh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:18 pm

You girl, Lass an Bobbie, give me too much credit - both stories where picked purely randomly - with no connection other than Glasgow.
My dyslexic brain - cant work that way. Thanks for the compliment girls. :D
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Lossit Lass » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:46 pm

ionnsaigh wrote:You girl, Lass an Bobbie, give me too much credit - both stories where picked purely randomly - with no connection other than Glasgow.
My dyslexic brain - cant work that way. Thanks for the compliment girls. :D

Very disappointing, Ionns...but at least you're honest.
Suppose they held a war and nobody came?
Lossit Lass
Active Poster
Active Poster

Postby Bobbie En Tejas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:43 pm

And here's me trying to make sense out of one of your posts, ionns.. so much for that! :shock: :<> :lol:
Some people die at 21 but aren't buried until they are 65.
Bobbie En Tejas
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Current Affairs