Kintyre Vernacular

This forum provides an opportunity for people to debate and discuss the latest current events; to talk about what's going on in the world today and discuss what's behind the news headlines.

Postby EMDEE » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 pm

4th gen Suthen' wrote:I think breeks and peens are unique to South Kintyre

As in bricks and pins

That's no' the breeks for weerin' but the wans for beeldin'.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:01 am

wulks, clabbydoos, gleshins, doos, scowders, big jim daniels
general jack o'niell

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:27 am

general jack o'niell wrote:wulks, clabbydoos, gleshins, doos, scowders, big jim daniels

A lot of local dialect and words have come from or through the fishing industry.

Here's a link to a map showing the distribution of language throughout Scotland:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... alects.png

It's interesting to note how the Campbeltown area is like an island of Scots dialect in a part of the country that is entirely Gaelic, possibly because it was an important seaport with trading links to the other areas.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:41 am

The Elusive Mr D. wrote:
It was around the time the American presence at Machrihanish was increasing and one story doing the rounds was of the American C.O.'s wife , having got a copy to try to "unnerstan" the natives, learned of a word which translated as "extremely". At a rather grand "meet and greet" dinner party where all the "High heed yins o the toon" were attending , she announced to the grand assemblage that she thought it "a lovely area and wasn't it a hooruva nice day today?"

Probably apocryphal but a nice story anyway :lol:

:lol:

There is another related word that seems to be a combination of two words already mentioned on this thread. If the weather had been inclement on the day of the event, the CO's wife could have said it was a "hooralookin" day.
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:52 am

in case anyone is unaware a "big jim daniels" is the large white jelly fish. the name comes from when he owned a couple of local boats the "nobles" and "nobles again" theres another story about those names.

he was out at the prawns on one of the boats when the codend came aboard full of the big jellies, obvious to all but him so the story goes, "we're rich boys, the nets full of them" or words to that effect he cried, hence from that day to this, a big white jelly is a big jim daniels. thats the story i was told anyway, i can't account for its accuracy, but it was told to me by the daughter of the skipper the late janet black.
general jack o'niell

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:04 am

Didn't wan't to show my ignorance by asking how big Jim Daniels found his way onto a list of marine creatures, but I knew there'd be some story behind it.

Did Jim Daniels know he was a large white jellyfish?
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:44 am

that i don't know, but i've just been on the trawler forum speaking to a retired tarbert skipper and came up with another word, don't know why i hadn't though of it sooner, a good campbeltown word, a rude awakening, your comeuppance, a gunker!!!!!
general jack o'niell

Postby EMDEE » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:52 am

I worked for JD for a while at his warehouse at the back of Woolworths after leaving the school. I know that he was called a few things behind his back but never a coelenterate. (not a Kintyre word)
EMDEE
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:55 am

i've two brothers who did likewise, tho i suspect for jad, nice word that, it'll have them rushing for wickipedia
general jack o'niell

Postby gizmo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:34 am

Annie wrote: I thought Hodges was on the corner of Longrow and Main Street, where the Courier office is noo?!?!?

It was, thats why it was always called Cooks corner :? Quite a few words cropping up that I havent heard for years, dialect spelling always confuses me.. Best word so far has to be Syning as in rinsing.. Dont know about a press being in the kitchen, we had one in the loaby as well.
gizmo
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby ionnsaigh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:16 pm

We had the coal bunker in the loaby.
O'Donnchadha
ionnsaigh
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby hugh » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Wouldn't that have been a "coal press" in Kintyre?

Gizmo. Thought Cook's corner was across the road from Hodges, where that pub is (the Kintyre?)

Spangles. Sorry it took so long, but I have heard "stae" (stay) used that way many a time. How about "doot" (doubt)? As in "I doot it's gonny
rain", actually meaning the opposite of what you'd expect. I've never heard it used that way outside of Kintyre. And "boussing". That's such a handy word, I'm surprised I've never even heard its equivalent outside Kintyre. There's "obvious", but it doesn't carry the cynicism that "boussing"
implies. Anybody know where that came from? Gaelic?
hugh
Can't Stay Away
Can't Stay Away

Postby general jack o'niell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:06 pm

do you mean to act of having a boose? a "petted lip" a sulk, or another word, its sometimes hard to know what way to spell such words, many probably never or rarely written down.
general jack o'niell

Postby 4th gen Suthen' » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:15 pm

That's good about doot meaning the opposite of what it should!!! so it does!! :) in Kintyre would it not be " I doot it's
GANNTAE rain" and not gonny, which is surley more of a Glasgow thing.

Wondered about boosin as well....it's a good word for sure........dont understand the "obvious" comparrison.

What about doag? nae doags anywhere else, only Kintyre.

"Gie the doag a clap affter you feenish syning these dishes!!"
ImageImage
4th gen Suthen'
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Annie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:19 pm

What about "toorie" as in the hat???
Luv ya billions!!!
Annie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext